FAO: Iron distance and other Fear-distance (TM) racers

Discuss upcoming races here

Re: FAO: Iron distance and other Fear-distance (TM) racers

Postby Jack Hughes » 17 Jan 2011 22:41

Dear Mr The Fear,

I was looking early at the trainingpeaks.com Annual Training Plan wizard. It suggests that the lower limit for a HIM is 500 hours per year. If you allow a bit of time off for a holiday, that is probably 12 hours per week.

I am budgeting between six and ten per week, max.

Should I be concerned?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby md6 » 28 Jan 2011 14:14

Jack Hughes wrote:Dear Mr The Fear,

I was looking early at the trainingpeaks.com Annual Training Plan wizard. It suggests that the lower limit for a HIM is 500 hours per year. If you allow a bit of time off for a holiday, that is probably 12 hours per week.

Should I be concerned?

Oh dear, that means my aim of doing, a bit 'here and there' is unlikely to get me round the Cowman then... i'm not scared, not at all...
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby CCS » 02 Feb 2011 20:10

Jack Hughes wrote:Dear Mr The Fear,

Should I be concerned?

I would ignore trainingpeaks.com - they are obviously in league with Mr The Fear! I am also planning on 6-10 hours per week max (and I have a suspicion less in the school hols)

...not afraid... just slow!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Urban Panda » 03 Feb 2011 09:35

My personal view is that it is not the actual amount of hours you do but what you do and when you do it. Doing two one hour slots a day for 6 days is not a good for HIM as doing one long brick of 3 to 4 hours on one day and then shorter sessions on other days and making sure that every session has a focus and is a quality session in its own way. 30 minutes running could be a focused speed session or a plod round the block but the key thing is make every session count, just logging hours for the sake of it won't help. I was averaging about 12 hours before Antwerp but at least two of those hours involved extra run sessions that I wanted to do not because they were part of my training. I am also an excruciatingly slow swimmer so a 2k pool session with some drills takes me about an hour whereas better swimmers would be doing this in about 40 or 45 minutes! The key is consistency, not 2 hours one week and 20 the next (unless you are at a training camp! Or out in "SoCal"). Although CCS and I could rename our town SoWo to sound cool and "on trend"!
Urban Panda
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby CCS » 03 Feb 2011 10:44

Like the idea of SoWo (though strictly speaking, I guess my side of town should be NoWo) - perhaps should start posting scenic pics of the training environment (muddy towpath / front hall with turbo trainer and Sufferfest DVD etc...)

There, Mr Fear - consider your thread derailed!!!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby sonofsammo » 17 Feb 2011 09:45

Dear Mr The Fear,
I have realised that you have not been sufficiently affecting me.
So I've entered the Cowman which is 8 weeks earlier than I was expecting to race anything.
Shit.
I'll see you there......
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Postby King Sad » 13 Apr 2011 14:23

Dear Mr Fear,

I am an old, fat knacker with an arthritic shoulder, dodgy knees and calves, spondilitis and a weak back so have naturally entered Outlaw 2011 followed by the Vitruvian 2011. :? Is this wise? If the answer is yes then there is always a first time (being wise that is), if not, hell why break a habit of a lifetime.

I do have some nice outfits and kit so the pictures should look good :D That is the important thing right? :P
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby sonofsammo » 20 Aug 2011 08:01

Oh dear. So far since March, according to endo, I have done 123 hours training. Most of my swim training isn't included, cos it's not on the Garmin.
But I hadn't realised exactly how little training I've done.
The Fear is with me.....
But all will be well, for I still have a secret weapon.... :D
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Postby IronMorg » 10 Oct 2011 16:48

Dean mr The fear

I have entered my first Ironman race next year in Wales having done 3 seasons of sprint and OD distances. I have never swam more than 3km in a go, I have only once hit 75 miles on one bike ride and have only once run 13.2 miles let alone the 26 miles I need for IM. please.be.gentle.with.me

Yours
John
PS nice touch persuading the IM organisers to ask us to advise our doctors name and address when we register for Ironman!
2015 season
22nd March - Ashby20
26th April - The London Marathon
13th September - The Great North Run
4th October - Chester Marathon
IronMorg
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Postby birdyman » 03 May 2013 11:53

Event: Challenge Henley

Fear.....everything really.

I am 12 weeks into the 30 week programme, and am beset by "oooooooooh nooooooo what I have signed up for???!!!" fears. For the last few years I have turned up at various sprints and ODs and 1 Mid Distance (to which the swim was changed to an extra run on account of the poor weather) and bimbled around in the best traditions of the club (finish before the marshals have gone home). But this is different.

I shall attempt to condense my fears:
1) The Swim: washing machine mayhem ("Aqua ruck") and not swimming in a straight line, and not finishing within the cut off.
Probability: low. Even I should be able to swim the distance in the time. The wet suit and 20 more weeks of training should make it all right. Apparently the compression of a wet suit alone improves hydrodynamics by 5%.

2) The bike. Long, painful, and causing my neck and shoulder problems. Nutrition. Cut off, water.
Probability: likely. I need to have a follow up bike fit with Mike. It is just time and money that are stopping me doing that. I'll start to extend the distances that I cycle on a Sunday morning in the coming months, but once again it is going to be time that is the limiting factor. I am also not entirely clear on the refuelling process - do they hand you new bottles or do you stop and fill up? What do I wear on the day? Do I just fill my pockets with flapjacks and gels?

3) The run. So long. So painful.

Overall I just wish that I could start tomorrow and get this done.
birdyman

Blog: View Blog (7)

PreviousNext

Return to Events