St Neots hm

General chat and questions go here

St Neots hm

Postby Jimba » 22 Nov 2018 21:57

Finally....race 5/5

5 weeks since last race but laid low by a cold that seemed to last three weeks so training not great. Not done this one before but had read that it is quite competitive due to proximity to London and one of the tail end races of the year.

So it’s badged as a bit hilly...and it is. Decided I would stick with the 1.30 pacers, if I could stick with them until 6/7 miles that would be fine, the last hill is at 9miles and then flat or downhill to the finish, so the plan was to dig deep on the last hills and go balls out for the line and see if I could at least get close to 1.30 albeit had no expectation of getting really close.

First mile, all up hill, about 20m of elevation, 6.44 but blowing quite hard, hr peaking at 163 at top of hill.
Second mile all downhill, 6.35, hr levelled out with 160ave.
3rd mile all uphill albeit not steep 10m, 6.52, hr up again Ave 164.
At this point I am thinking this is quite tough.
4th mile all uphill 30m elevation, 7.22. Elastic band with the pacers has snapped, as has my mental strength :( hr 167 at start but dropped to 156 at top of the hill......wrong way round :evil:

Next couple of miles a bit up and downy, 7.12 and 7.30 with hr at 155. I am now thinking just bash out reasonable mile splits as it was obvious I couldn’t maintain sub 7 min and to try would result in a massive blowout and a walk across the line. I am being passed at this point which also tells me I have paced this wrong (again) and am suffering more than others.

Miles 7&8 are flattish at 7.11 and 7.15 hr 153/154 I have weathered the storm and feeling a bit stronger.
Miles 9 & 10 have the last hill and it is pretty tough at this point 7.21 and 7.28 but hr back up to 160 which indicates effort going in. Not losing many places now and those that have passed me are not going away.

All flat and downhill from here. I also think there is something about hitting mile 10 and thinking “it’s only a parkrun from here”. :lol:
11&12 done in 7.08 and 7.07 with hr at 161, not feeling easy, but feeling good. Reining a few people in as well, although I think everyone is enjoying the downhill.
Last mile is a 15m descent, feels great, pedal down giving everything a 650cc engine has got at this point. 6.57 with hr 163.

Run in to the line I go past one guy and closing in on another who shot off like a hare when I got near!

Finish time 1.33.19
Ag 20/155
188/1380

Very enjoyable and will be one I come back to, nice route, well organised, great support throughout.

Just need to decide whether to slip in one more before the end of the year :D
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: St Neots hm

Postby jonathon.e » 23 Nov 2018 20:37

Great result, especially for a nice undulating course,
I guess the problem with using other pacers is if they mess up, you get messed up to :(

As for this 650cc engine, is it two or four stroke, high revving or low revving ?

Always time for another race :D

Well done.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 24 Nov 2018 13:40

Good work - nice to be challenged... over-did it, then managed to bring it back, for a good result. Nice.

Well done.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jimba » 27 Nov 2018 07:21

jonathon.e wrote:Great result, especially for a nice undulating course,
I guess the problem with using other pacers is if they mess up, you get messed up to :(

As for this 650cc engine, is it two or four stroke, high revving or low revving ?

Always time for another race :D

Well done.

Cheers Jon, the pacers went off a bit quick but the fault is on me, should have run my own race ;)

The engine at times feels like a misfiring 2 stroke :lol:

Cheers Jack.

Probably time to think about races for next year and what to change in training, I feel I have hit a definite plateau and need to determine what I need to do, heaven forbid a proper training plan that I have avoided for years :D :D
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 29 Nov 2018 07:07

A change is as good as a rest.

It may involve a bit of travelling, probably to the Peak District, but try fell running, it goes on all year, and some great short ones over the Dec/Jan period, it may provide the change you need, without creating the dreaded training plan.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 02 Dec 2018 11:29

Club and get involved in leagues? Especially as it's now Cross Country (aka poor man's fell running) season
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jimba » 04 Dec 2018 19:39

Both good suggestions. I have the extra hm this Sunday so will reflect after that. One way or the other if I am going to get gfa for London in 2020 I need to do longer miles. I have dropped to 4 days a week at work so that should be doable. :)
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Return to General Discussion