Half Ironman Training Plan

General chat and questions go here

Half Ironman Training Plan

Postby Messer » 16 Jan 2010 11:17

Well after much sole searching ive decided on doing a Half ironman distance race.
could anyone recommend a good training plan ive found loads of full iron programs but not many of the half IM plans seem to be that detailed or have any feedback from people who have used them.

Also any Race suggestions I was thinking about the Half challenge Barcelona might be good, do we think its worth doing a big branded shiny race I would like a race with a bit of a lash up afterwards if such a thing exists. (i do like a celebratery beer or 4).
And is now a good time to make the move onto a TT bike or for my first trip into long distance should i stay with comfort first.

Cheers in advance of your wisdom.

Mat[color=#BF0040]
[/color]
Yep that's right I am an Ironman.......
Messer

Re: Half Ironman Training Plan

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 16 Jan 2010 12:49

I'm entered into the Half Challenge Barcelona. Your first HIM & IM only happen once so might as well make it a decent race. I'd be interested in the training plan advice too, my training is rather free-form at the moment.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jaminho » 16 Jan 2010 12:56

I'm in for little woody as my first middle this year, really looking forward to it...

but would definitely appreciate some training plan help as well!
Jaminho
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby didds » 16 Jan 2010 16:46

what's the race date(s) ?

what are your goals?

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby malteser » 16 Jan 2010 17:07

i'm doing Antwerp 70.3 - the goal is to finish (under 7 hours would be a bonus)

my training plan is pretty much an "i'm currently winging it" plan - but I've just bought JOe Friel's "Going Long" - will spend my weekend reading so there may be some method to my madness in the end ... wouldn't count on it though
malteser
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby gingertri » 16 Jan 2010 17:19

i'm another for the little woody, theres a few of us (i think sgm scotty and jellybaby are doing the big woody) so camp out after the race and have a BBQ and get pissed (may be a very cheap drinking session!) :D

i've not got a specific plan yet - i need to get some serious bike hours in and mix it with some running and cycling (not sure this is a proper plan though!)
gingertri

Postby Jellybaby » 16 Jan 2010 17:27

Whoa whoa whoa, the SGM is doing the Big Woody. I'm doing the Little Woody!! There's no way I'd want to do two laps of THAT bike course! :?
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby albinolock » 16 Jan 2010 17:39

Messer, We planning a BCTTT event/Meet up for the Little/Big Woody on 28th August..rough plan is to race either the middle or full distance and have a BBQ/party after.. there's free camping and I've orgnaised for the BCTTT to have our own specific area so we can all camp near each other and support the competitors who haven't finished..

As far as plans goes, there is a really good book from Matt Fitzgerald call Essential week by week training guide, it has plans for sprints to irnoman, with 10 different levels for each discipline so you can really mix and match and tailor a program yourself.

Scotty
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock

Postby gingertri » 16 Jan 2010 20:36

Jellybaby wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, the SGM is doing the Big Woody. I'm doing the Little Woody!! There's no way I'd want to do two laps of THAT bike course! :?

sorry mate, just assumed he'd talked you into it! my bad! :?
gingertri

Postby moonshine » 16 Jan 2010 21:03

doing the HIM Antwerp - using the intermediate Ironfit plan on the principle that if I get fit enough for a whole the half should be ok - probably a bad idea
As long as chocolate is involved I can do anything
moonshine

Blog: View Blog (9)

Next

Return to General Discussion