Replicate Hills on the Turbo

General chat and questions go here

Replicate Hills on the Turbo

Postby albinolock » 15 Jan 2010 12:19

Is there a way to replicate hills on a turbo trainer.. Obviously raising the front wheel higher replicates the positioning, but is there a way of doing effective hill training? or is it just a case of increasing the resistance and gearing?

Scotty
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Re: Replicate Hills on the Turbo

Postby didds » 15 Jan 2010 12:42

As I understand it Scotty you are spot on. perusal of similar threads around and about in other forums usually ends up in quite heated debate I find as people point out the only way to truly replicate hills is to actually get out on them, and that raised front wheels and high gearing doesn't really engage the proper muscle sets etc. There may be some truth in that but the bottom line is that maybe unless you can come up with some sort of treadmill arrangement I can't see what else you can do.

I did spinervals last night - "Hillacious"... 65 minutes of steady slope, rollers and steep hills turbo session. My turbo wqas racked up as tight as it would go and I had 3 telephone directories and a wood block under the front wheel but I must say I could still manage 90 rpm in top gear (53x12) and i am not some sort of Hussler hills nemesis! I have a second turbo - a really cheap one - that I will have to try to see if I can get a tighter resistance!

Ris - how long is "our" Box Hill (miles)?

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jellybaby » 15 Jan 2010 14:32

Tacx flow :D

The HILLacious spinervals is quite good - i got it for xmas and have done it a few times. If nothing else it's helped me get my average rpm comfortable at 90 instead of 75. I also have to remember next time Im on a hill not to drop to my 50/12 like you do in the dvd or i'll be in all sorts of bother.
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby jac » 16 Jan 2010 12:34

Have a read of this Scotty..

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/traini ... ning-24170

Stairway to Heaven! :o
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Return to General Discussion