F**kin Turbo

General chat and questions go here

Re: F**kin Turbo

Postby Jack Hughes » 16 Jan 2010 09:13

Andy, did you have a plan for the session? Were there any objectives? Did you meet them?

To be "enjoyable", you have to have a set plan - with a set of objectives, whether it is steady state, or intervals. A heart rate, or power meter, really helps too.

If you set out with something definite in mind, and achieve it, you will have a lot more satisfaction.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Tritans » 16 Jan 2010 11:41

Ewan wrote:p.p.s. Finding a distraction helps, as mentioned a lot of people find the tv helpful. At the moment I'm listening to the entire, unabridged War and Peace on talking book... Nothing like 60hours of Russian literature to keep you motivated :D :D

War and Peace :shock: Ewan you have really taken this mental challange to the extreme. I was thinking more The Simpsons Movie :oops:

Andy you have the same feelings as I do about treadmills, Jack is right, if you have a session planned, it distracts you from the boredom. Stick with it fella the rewards are there for you.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby andyb99 » 16 Jan 2010 12:20

I used a 1 hour hill climb session from the turbo training website that jac posted...that worked well. i was also in my living room in front of the tv...but i still hated it......i love riding my bike...maybe thats the problem, i like riding out and about....i'll try again.....thanks for the encouragement
espeacially
LET THE TURBO GUIDE YOU TO UNCONTROLLABLE PLEASURE :D
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby jac » 16 Jan 2010 12:29

I know what you mean - I'd rather be out and about. But it's a means to an end. As Hussler says, great for mental strength :|
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby garyroberts » 16 Jan 2010 16:46

I love mine, its by far the easiest quick workout you can do....just get on and go....no messin around. I'm watching smallville (currently season 5 of my season 1-7 boxset)........

.....i should point out that i've never managed any longer than an hour, and that was last year, this year i've done about 6 sessions and still no managed more that 45 mins....

....Jack.......you reminded me that i really need to set some goals to track my progess, I totally agree that most of the satisfaction is not in the actual training, its in the achievement of a goal(s).....thats when you know your getting there...
Swim like a brick, cycle like a sail, run like constipation
garyroberts
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby didds » 16 Jan 2010 16:50

Ewan wrote:Nothing like 60hours of Russian literature to keep you motivated :D :D

Its better in the original Russian I find...

;-)

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Ewan » 16 Jan 2010 17:41

haha, I figure if you can cope with listening to a pantomime dame (unfortunate choice of reader on the part of the publisher!) on the turbo then you can cope with pretty much anything!

Seriously though War and Peace is a fantastic novel, I read it a few years ago and despite the awful reader the talking book is great refresher! I particularly enjoyed a quote from a couple of days ago. Talking about the arrogance of different nationalities:

"A Frenchman is self-assured because he regards himself personally, both in mind and body, as irresistibly attractive to men and women. An Englishman is self-assured, as being a citizen of the best-organized state in the world, and therefore as an Englishman always knows what he should do and knows that all he does as an Englishman is undoubtedly correct. An Italian is self-assured because he is excitable and easily forgets himself and other people. A Russian is self-assured just because he knows nothing and does not want to know anything, since he does not believe that anything can be known. The German's self-assurance is worst of all, stronger and more repulsive than any other, because he imagines that he knows the truth — science — which he himself has invented but which is for him the absolute truth."

:D
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby moonshine » 16 Jan 2010 21:10

go for putting a sprint in every ?? minutes or cadence for a certain period of time or speed. I don't think oh god I've got 2 hours I think 30 mins 1/4 done, 60 mins half done etc trick learnt from endurance horse riding - if you think about the whole distance it looks very daunting if you mentally split it up for some bizarre idea its easier :? Also O put something on the tv that I hate or is boring in order to try and get the brain to go past the bugger it I'm giving up this is mental torture
As long as chocolate is involved I can do anything
moonshine
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (9)

Previous

Return to General Discussion