running mechanics - how long to change?

General chat and questions go here

running mechanics - how long to change?

Postby ris » 14 Jan 2010 21:01

i've been having some foot knack issues which my physio is putting down to my gait (my left hip drops a bit as i run which leads to my knee moving inward and eventual lateral stress on my peroneal tendon). he's given me some stretches to do and as a short term fix i've discovered that my old stabilising running shoes stop the tendon from pulling.

i can run a bit now, but can't help feel that the movement in my hip is still putting stress on my knee that is bound to reappear as a problem later on. is it going to be possible to fix this gait issue through stretches and putting some focus on running technique? if it is possible am i looking at months? years even?

any help from the massive would be brilliant. even if the answer is 'you're broken, time for the knackers yard'
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Re: running mechanics - how long to change?

Postby The Black Bomber » 15 Jan 2010 06:25

You're broken, time for the knackers yard you oxygen thief.
The Black Bomber

Postby Sir Conehead » 15 Jan 2010 08:18

Why does your hip drop? I might have missed it in the info - but the cause of the hip drop is the problem. Any stretches prescribed are treating the symptoms.
Sir Conehead

Postby ris » 15 Jan 2010 10:35

i think the physio put it down to a weak gluteus medius, but i'm seeing him on monday and will chat over what i'm doing with it. some of the stretches are for the calves (to loosen them as they are pretty tight) and some of them are for the hip/gluteus m. at my last physio appt he did some traction in my hip and work on my gluteus m.

i suppose i'm just eager to be fixed right now this minute, which just isn't going to happen. if there are more excercises or technique work that i can do to encourage a better gait i want to do them, although i know in my heart that impatience is only going to lead me to relapses.

i have signed up for bath half mara, which is in 7weeks, and right now i can't run 6mi. i can do 3-4 easily enough at a steady pace but am starting to realise that i might be better off missing the race for a longer term benefit.
club champ 2015
ris

Postby Sir Conehead » 15 Jan 2010 18:54

Hip drops are common and caused by glute dysfunction, also when you get tired things start switching off.

Sort your butt cheeks out and everything else will sort itself out.
Sir Conehead

Postby Sir Conehead » 15 Jan 2010 22:48

Forgot to say, its a relatively easy thing to put right.
Sir Conehead

Postby ris » 16 Jan 2010 00:22

cheers darren, i'm trying to make sure that i do my stretches every day so i give myself the best chance of sorting it.

in the f2k running file you put up the coaching section there was some stuff on technique sessions. seeing as i can currently run 30-60mins would doing these be a useful aid (or at least do no harm)? i've been doing almost exclusivley z2 work in all disciplines since early november and was thinking about adding in 1 or 2 speed/strength/tech sessions into the week (1 for running, 1 probably on the bike).
club champ 2015
ris

Return to General Discussion