Putting a maker down in transition

General chat and questions go here

Re: Putting a maker down in transition

Postby albinolock » 13 Jan 2010 20:07

I just normally use one of my brght towels.. I thought this was pretty common to be honest.. I'm not challenging for any honours, therefore an extra few seconds in transitions to dry my feet off and most importanty wipe any crap off they picked up from the grass, tarmac, gravel etc that I've run across.

As far as markers.. As I tend to get really dizzy when I get out of the swim, so normally I find it hard to remember/find where my bike is even when I have put down my bright towel and visualised a landmark nearby!!
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby gingertri » 13 Jan 2010 21:02

malteser wrote:at the national champs I saw a woman tying a Hello Kitty balloon to the rack just above her bike in transition ... the temptation to cut that ribbon was overwhelming, but hey (not that I needed it) I racked relatively close to her so it ended up being a marker for me as well ... still ... a bit cheeky to have the balloon

I also racked near to the hello kitty balloon! and i agree with Hussler - put it near something you can identify eg a hello kitty balloon or the entrance to the club house!
gingertri

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby S11 » 13 Jan 2010 22:04

Hmm I to usually get dizzy after the swim, generally I'm fine when in a pool but in OW I get a bit dizzy.

I generally don't have a problem with memorising where my bike is but since last year was my first year then I was relying on information to help me.

Nice call Jac.... a towel just piss Jon off !!!! :lol: :lol:
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby didds » 14 Jan 2010 00:10

shadowone1 wrote:Any views on this cause I thought using a marker was fine (as per advice in 220) but here's this ref saying otherwise.

I smell received wisdom here... I've read stuff in LOADS of places about using transition markers... much of it emanating from the US and probably a few years (tho not many) ago.

Once its out there it just gets regurgitated it seems - because equally I have read LOADS (predominately UK based) that balloons, talc arrows and the like are definite NO NOs.

Now - could be the latter is received wisdom as well... but the 220 advice smells terribly to me like regurgitated advice from a short while ago with no checking done.

Now - as for bright yellow towels... I'm not a BTF ref, and I suspect if you had 5 BTF refs together they'd disagree anyway (!) but it would seem to me that unless BTF rules state that towels can only be so large and of certain hues then as long as the towel is placed "sensibly" and "normally" you'd be bloody hard done by if you were penalised just because your towel was yellow and not a greeny-brown grassy sort of colour.

The rule - AIUI - is to prevent helium ballons and vast oceans of talc being spread around the floor - and the like.

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby didds » 14 Jan 2010 00:11

ris wrote:i would have thought that if you receive a penalty then the race marshall / ref would have to tell the racer and the reasons why, but i could be wrong.

aren't time penalties listed in the official results?

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby hussler » 14 Jan 2010 07:54

Depending on race....you may get told straight away if your there, if not then you may have a piece of tape fastened to the racking next to your number..... where you then have to go stand in the Sin Bin for X minutes....If none of them apply then you may just find out at the end when the results come out and you have an X penalty for whatever.....

You can also get disqualified for having an MP3 or any other music player in Transition, even before the race as you set and your listening to pre race tunes and you have no intention of setting it up for use on the bike etc......I nearly got done for that at Oulton Park last year......forgot I had it on as I was that focussed haha....
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Jules » 14 Jan 2010 10:02

hussler wrote:
You can also get disqualified for having an MP3 or any other music player in Transition, even before the race as you set and your listening to pre race tunes and you have no intention of setting it up for use on the bike etc......I nearly got done for that at Oulton Park last year......forgot I had it on as I was that focussed haha....

Was that you?! I saw someone get shouted at quite severely by the race ref, it took him ages to get their attention. :D

To be fair all the refs I have come accross are very fair, and seem to excercise common sense when it comes to AGers not knowing the details of the rules. Mobile phones in transition is one I've been let off with a couple of times.
Occasional BCTTT messageboard loiterer.
Jules
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby jonathon.e » 14 Jan 2010 15:43

The SGM will from the 1st of April be issuing large(4'x4') pink tartan picnic blankets for BCTTT members to use in the transition area for kit layout purposes.This is in order that members are comfortable during their 10minute transition period,folding stools and tables are available at extra cost.

Larger ones will be available to those members that still think they deserve more room.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Ewan » 14 Jan 2010 15:47

Will there be a picnic buffet?? I always struggle with my nutrition out on the bike so would be good to sort it out before I have to get on the bike!
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby jonathon.e » 14 Jan 2010 15:54

Ewan wrote:Will there be a picnic buffet?? I always struggle with my nutrition out on the bike so would be good to sort it out before I have to get on the bike!

Absolutley,in fact there may even be a gas powered BBQ available to hire so you can cook and take it fresh out on the course,none of this prepacked gels and bars crap.Just good wholesome beefburgers etc.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion