carb cravings after excercise

General chat and questions go here

carb cravings after excercise

Postby moonshine » 09 Jan 2010 21:32

ok managing the excercise bit but the food cravings after hours after for anything with carbs is mad:roll: Basically means that doing the restricted calories to try and loose weight bit is proving even more of a challenge --- - if I do the starve bit and use ketones only for energy ala Atkins I do a great pass out after excercise and I am a complete cow when hungry :D

So ideas please
As long as chocolate is involved I can do anything
moonshine
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: carb cravings after excercise

Postby Bendy Ben » 09 Jan 2010 22:30

Are you fuelled properly pre exercise?

I make this mistake so often and end up eating crap just cos I'm so hungry.
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby moonshine » 10 Jan 2010 00:06

yep - always have something sensible hour before excercise i.e. morning fruity porridge, lunch soup, early evening peanut butter sandwich if excercising which is 5-6 days a week at minute 45mins to 2 hrs depending on plan - probably just a brain think with the cold weather and me knowing that I'm trying to keep cals down :roll:
moonshine

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 10 Jan 2010 00:55

I read an interesting article in last months Triathlete Europe which suggested that hunger post swim training can be linked to a drop in core temperature. The body wants to warm up and knows it can do this by digesting food. It suggests having a hot drink and some solid protein (slow to digest) post swimming to overcome the desire for carbs. I usually swim in the morning before breakfast so I've yet to test this thoroughly.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby didds » 10 Jan 2010 02:08

jibby26 wrote:It suggests having a hot drink and some solid protein (slow to digest) post swimming to overcome the desire for carbs.

so you obviously need fish and chips.

without the chips.

;-)

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Sir Conehead » 10 Jan 2010 02:29

ooooh moonshine! You should know better! :D :D :D

If you're restricting calories then you're going to place demand on your glycogen stores, so much so that you in fact burn fat. The whole point of the exercise.

However - this means your body will do anything and everything to get you to replace those glycogen stores by eating carbs.

My advice is don't succumb - a bit Nazi perhaps, but more calories out than calories in will result in what you're feeling. As long as it's not excessive (500 calorie deficit per day) then you should be ok. Any more deficit than that and your body may think your starving.
Sir Conehead

Postby Jack Hughes » 10 Jan 2010 08:25

Altering the times you eat and the times you exercise might help.

I find that if I have done something to get the HR up, then that works as an appetite suppressant. At least for a couple of hours. So, for me, an early (e.g. 7pm) session stops me wanting to eat until I am too tired and it is bed time.

Make a load of soup. And have a bowl of that, then wait 20 mins and see how hungry you are. You can put lots of good things in the soup. And it has an effect of filling you up where the ingredients on their own (i.e. water + veg) won't.

Try to switch to eating less in the evening (i.e. bigger meal at breakfast/lunchtime). Going to be feeling a bit hungry is a good sign that you are doing it right... and you'll feel great in the morning!

Hmm. Pasta Carbonara for Breakfast anyone!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby hussler » 10 Jan 2010 11:27

I try and have More Protein days and More Carbs days.....depending what is planned for the following days training.... dont think that will help you though much.... try eating more Protein than carbs, protein leaves me feeling very full and in fact if I have a protein based meal I can last until mid afternoon without any more food, however this isnt a good way of eating.... so I always just graze during the morning on fruit then have a salad for lunch, protein shake mid afternoon and graze through the rest of the day from then... If I can be bothered to cook a meal in evening I will do but sometime evening meal is a bowl of cereal and fruit salad...

This helped me shift my xmas weight increase of 4kg:) im now the same weight as I was all last year. Im going to try and loose another 3-4kgs for Race season.....hopefully wont be too difficult once im well into my marathon training....
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler

Postby jac » 10 Jan 2010 12:27

Personally I think it's a bad time of year to be going into calorie deficit..
Eat healthy grub, keep fuelled and well hydrated..but cutting cals while training in the winter leaves you more susceptible to illness.
And it doesn't sound as though you've got much to shift.
Once you start higher intensity training later in the year the weight will drop off - and you'll be ready to race.
No point being race weight now. (Unless you're competing!!)
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby moonshine » 12 Jan 2010 21:25

tried upping the protein and seems to have hit cravings on the head along with making any carbs - complicated i.e bread so brown, seedy and rye you can use it as a door stop and one slice take 15 minutes and half pint of water :lol:
moonshine

Return to General Discussion