How important are tri bars??

General chat and questions go here

Re: How important are tri bars??

Postby Jellybaby » 07 Jan 2010 13:05

I'm slowly getting used to them on the turbo. When I started my heart rate shot up when I went down on them, but that's stabilised now. I put all my spacers back under the stem when I put them on, and have slowly removed them over the last few weeks, so I now only have one underneath - which is going to stay there for the time being as it's more comfortable than not having.

By the time IMUK comes round, you'll be well practiced on descending those hills as you live round the corner so you'll be going full speed and overtaking people as your local knowledge comes into play. Comfort also definitely comes into it, there are only so many position you can be in on a bike, and it give you a couple of extra ones to use when you get bored of hands on hoods, drops, middle of bars ...
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby S11 » 07 Jan 2010 13:09

Its funny how people are different. I can't get used to them on the turbo as they feel hellish yet out on the road they are great...

There was an article in 220 about a guy's HR shooting up on the bars, I think its a common thing
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby Jellybaby » 07 Jan 2010 13:31

Yeah it's taken a while, but I'm getting there. Can still only stay in them for 15 mins at a time before changing position (which is the same amount of time I can cope with being on the hoods/drops/bars), but I'm quite a fidgety person :D

Use them on the road every now and then when there isn't sh*tloads of traffic, and it's perfectly comfy
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby

Postby Bendy Ben » 07 Jan 2010 14:30

going downhill i think i'll be more inclined to cover the brakes rather than reduce wind drag.

Why Andy ? Get down and pedal hard.

Surely the reducing your drag coefficient will increase recovery time on the downhill sections.
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ris » 07 Jan 2010 14:34

it took me most of last summer to get used to my clip on bars, and i'm sure my position is all wrong on them. by the time i got to the end of the season i could do 30mins or so down on them without too much discomfort, and i was getting more confident doing fast downhill sections on them, too. i can't climb at all with them though, hopeless.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby albinolock » 07 Jan 2010 14:54

I stuck mind on last year just before windsor and I've never really trained on them.. they aren't setup correctly so cause me back/shoulder/arm pain when using for more than 30 mins.. my HR also shots up when get down in them and that is also why I haven't trianed too much in them as most of my training last year was done at low HR and I couldn't manage both..
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby jac » 07 Jan 2010 15:15

Tri bars can make quite a difference to your splits, but set-up is crucial...not just the bars, but seat height, angle, stem etc..
A TT champ at my local bike shop helped me with my set-up and I'd definitely recommend that. Then take your bike out and test it. Is is comfortable, can you keep your regular cadence, what's your heart rate doing, how are your times comparing? And be prepared to tinker with your position, set-up etc..
Test it out and see..if it ain't working for you go back to your original set-up.
Then buy yourself a TT or tri bike and you can choose your bike per course! :lol:
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby andyb99 » 07 Jan 2010 15:44

willieverfinish wrote:
going downhill i think i'll be more inclined to cover the brakes rather than reduce wind drag.

Why Andy ? Get down and pedal hard.

Surely the reducing your drag coefficient will increase recovery time on the downhill sections.

Cause i'm a chicken Ben. i do think i'll give some a try...i think the point about it being another position appeals to me.

WILLTRI, drop me a PM will you...i've seen your post and i might be interested but i dont thing an offer of a brew and a maryland choc chip cookie will sway you so i want to know roughly how much you want for em.

and thanks for all the comments guys.
andyb99

Previous

Return to General Discussion