Oundle 20mile

General chat and questions go here

Oundle 20mile

Postby Jimba » 18 Mar 2019 22:50

So, last race before April marathon. Having knocked 3mins off last years time in a shorter race a few weeks ago, as ever, I was hopeful for a big reduction on this one.
Last year 2.33.59. It’s lumpy to say the least but I have a lot more mileage under the belt this year including some longer runs.
However..... :lol: ....I have a niggly knee and forecast was windy.....turned out windier than forecast. :shock:

So race plan was to aim for 1.15 at halfway point, which would be a minute or so up on last year. Holding back (assuming I am so much fitter :lol: ) would mean I could stay strong for second 10. It’s broadly uphill for first 10 and down for the next 7 and up for the last three, so hopefully will stay strong for those last three.

Off at 9.30am, cold and very windy. The field spread out fairly quickly and I settled into a steady pace. 7.15, 7.23, 7.31, 7.39 for the first four. Happy with the pace and the knee is fine. The field is strung out so can’t really tuck in, but helpfully there are a couple of runners staying 30m ahead so helped with pacing as the undulations made it difficult to settle.

7.20, 7.49, 7.39, 7.28 for the next four. The 7.49 was with a long uphill section, so despite the fluctuations in pace, I am happy. I know from last year that the next 2 miles are pretty much all uphill, so not expecting to maintain the pace.

7.41 and 7.54. So halfway 16.1k 1.15.33. Last year 1.16.08, so not quite the minute up I had counted on but ok, particularly as the wind was brutal for the full two miles uphill.

Mile 11 slowest yet, the hill dragged on and on before cresting, fortunately a good downhill to come. 8.02, 7.30, 7.23, flew down the hill but a few warning twinges from the knee. At this point, one of my “pacers” is still ahead and I am pulling a few others back.

7.31, 7.35, 7.37, 7.39 for the next 4, at this point things are hurting, feet, knee, and generally feeling old :lol: but strangely feeling strong enough to finish well.

I was into the last three miles that are steadily uphill all the way and some long sections straight into the wind. This had a huge impact on pace and what energy I thought I had went. My pacer left me for dead and another half dozen came past.

Last three 8.15, 8.34, 8.20 and some change for the extra .2.

Overall finish 1.34.18
52/430
3/18 ag

Pleased, but not pleased, I thought the wind would be a factor, but not to the degree it was. More disappointed that knee is swollen and not good today. Decisions needed on marathon in 4 weeks.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Oundle 20mile

Postby jonathon.e » 11 Apr 2019 12:52

Nice result, don't worry about the time, if we were professionals it might be different, but a couple of minutes might seem an eternity, but on the scale of things, it is more annoying, but the weather played a part, not just the wind but the cold chilling the muscles.

Total bugger about the knee though, hope it isn't too serious and just a small amount of inflammation that goes quickly. Onwards and upwards for the marathon, the best things happen when we least expect it.
Still showing the youngsters how to do it though. Did you compare the finishing times to last year, and were they slower as well?

Keep up the good work Jimba :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jimba » 12 Apr 2019 19:01

jonathon.e wrote:Nice result, don't worry about the time, if we were professionals it might be different, but a couple of minutes might seem an eternity, but on the scale of things, it is more annoying, but the weather played a part, not just the wind but the cold chilling the muscles.

Total bugger about the knee though, hope it isn't too serious and just a small amount of inflammation that goes quickly. Onwards and upwards for the marathon, the best things happen when we least expect it.
Still showing the youngsters how to do it though. Did you compare the finishing times to last year, and were they slower as well?

Keep up the good work Jimba :D

Cheers Jon. Times were slightly slower but the field was much bigger, about twice the size, so conditions were a factor.

The knee is a problem, since this race nearly four weeks ago I have only run a couple of times last weekend, once to test it slowly, one to test race pace. It’s not right but I am going to gamble on it this Sunday for the marathon. It’s a big gamble in terms of the knee holding up and I am also going with race shoes which are nearly 300grams lighter than I have used so far this year. 300gm for 42000metres (my stride is not much more) must be a factor. However, there is a consequence in terms of comfort and lack of cushioning.......got to be done, last shot at gfa for next year. :shock:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 12 Apr 2019 20:24

Best of luck for the marathon this weekend Jimba. Hope the knee stays in one piece for the duration. Plenty of ice and fingers crossed for your grandson time, have a great race. :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Return to General Discussion