Great eastern run (Peterborough hm)

General chat and questions go here

Great eastern run (Peterborough hm)

Postby Jimba » 17 Oct 2018 19:25

Race 4/5

The never ending season continues!

So Sunday 14 Oct, a wet day, so wet that Noah came past at one point shouting “told you so”.

This was supposed to be my A race, but prep didn’t feel like it. Not sure why, complacency after a good last race, prospect of rubbish weather, long season...who knows. Since the last race 4weeks previously training had been ticking over more than anything and probably one of my lowest volume months since the start of the year.

2 previous outings in 2015/16 with the latter producing pb for hm of 1.28.52....it’s a flat course. I was aiming for something under that, maybe 1.28.15.

So start was a wash out, by the time the gun went we were all absolutely drenched. I could see the 1.30 pacers just in front and the game plan was to follow them for 6miles, see how I felt and surge past for a spectacular pb. First mile 7.01 and felt harder than it should have, I needed something around 6.43 p/mile for the time I wanted. The pack settled down and the next mile was 6.52. Good crowds despite the weather and great marshals.

6.49 and 6.46 for next two and feeling good. It’s a decent lick and whilst not comfortable I felt like it was maintainable. HR was high 150s, last time I did this it was around 164 at this point, so overall I am happy. I know by now I am not going to get my time but weather was grim and whilst I felt relatively comfortable, I was hardly holding back :D

6.48 and 6.47 for next two so 6miles in, still with the pacers and feeling good. Do I surge past......no, I am not getting a spectacular pb so let’s just get a solid sub1.30.

Miles 7 and 8 are 6.44 and 6.43 and I start thinking about going past the pacers as there is only 5.1 to go and I am flying. Decide to stick to a sensible game plan and review at 10 miles.

9 and 10 are 6.51 and 6.51. That’s resolved what I need to do then.....just hang on for a parkrun :D

The elastic band with the pacers is stretching as I am struggling to hang on. No worries, I have a comfortable cushion and know I have the legs for these last miles. 6.53 and 6.57 for 12th mile, that’s fine, I am losing time on sub1.30 but not much. Dig deep for final mile and a bit.

It’s tough now, chafing due to wet weather, feet hurting due to worn out racing flats (that I love) and a fast 12 miles in the legs!

Last mile 7.01........theoretically all good, but I am considerably more than .1 from the finish. It is actually another 350m (sorry for swapping systems). This takes me 1.32 giving an overall finish time of 1.30.36 :twisted:

Schoolboy error relying on garmin. Normally I set unrealistic targets and when I don’t hit them I know I couldn’t have done more. Frustratingly on this occasion I think I could.....mental strength let me down, I thought I had a cushion and didn’t push until it was too late. Ave hr this time 159, last time 164 so I think that tells a story.

Anyway 2nd fastest ever so can’t be too unhappy with that :D

AG 6/109
314/3451 overall

So overall pleased with a touch of regret. Also a huge slice of awe....Ag winner did it in 1.09 :shock:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Great eastern run (Peterborough hm)

Postby Jimba » 18 Oct 2018 07:58

Less awe than before, I thought an oldie doing a 1.09 was too quick, checked runbritain rankings, fastest is 1.14. Checked back on GE results and he has disappeared and I am now 5/108. Suspect it wasn’t cheating but a last minute “does anyone want my place”.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Jack Hughes » 18 Oct 2018 08:43

An age group PB though?

Be interesting to look at the WAVA age graded score for your PB and this effort.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jimba » 18 Oct 2018 15:07

Jack Hughes wrote:An age group PB though?

Be interesting to look at the WAVA age graded score for your PB and this effort.

Yes ag pb indeed.

WAVA was a good call, latest run only .1% lower, works out at 7 seconds. Underlines how things decline with age!
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Oct 2018 18:08

Great result Jimba in such testing conditions, the weather is definitely having a laugh at our expense at the moment. Shame about not getting the time you wanted, but, given the weather I would say it was a ' technical PB time'.

Plenty of seasonal races to keep the competitive edge going this time of year, great work :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 20 Oct 2018 09:43

Jimba wrote:WAVA was a good call, latest run only .1% lower, works out at 7 seconds. Underlines how things decline with age!

Yes. This fills one with happiness/relief AND bitterness/regret all at the same time. Must be a German word for that.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jimba » 20 Oct 2018 12:19

Jack Hughes wrote:
Jimba wrote:WAVA was a good call, latest run only .1% lower, works out at 7 seconds. Underlines how things decline with age!

Yes. This fills one with happiness/relief AND bitterness/regret all at the same time. Must be a German word for that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Kevy427 » 27 Oct 2018 11:35

Well done, Jimba. Never a pleasurable experience running the rain but a good result and a little bit of Magnum PI work post-race ;)
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Return to General Discussion