Kimbolton half marathon

General chat and questions go here

Kimbolton half marathon

Postby Jimba » 21 Aug 2018 15:36

Race 2/5

So previous pb from only other outing 1.31.43 in 2015. Current training and form would suggest something under 1.30 on the cards.
Woke up with sore throat a couple of days before, this got progressively worse on race day and with 20mph winds forecast, anything under pb would be revised goal.
It’s a lumpy course and hard to pace. Total elevation gain 116m although feels more. It’s pretty much uphill for first 5.5 miles, downhill for next 5.5, then a short steep hill and last mile down to the finish.
First three miles 6.52, 6.45 and 6.55. Feeling like hard work and given that it’s a steady incline I decide to ease back a tad. Next three including peak of middle hill on the course 7.12, 7.07, 7.28. Even taking into account the hill the 7.28 is a pb killer! Not much to be done, just try to pace the rest and try to hold onto positions. The filed is well spread by this point and few passings.
7.01, 6.55, 7.01, 7.00. Ok but mostly downhill and had hoped to pull a bit more time back than that. Still, distance of a parkrun left so nearly done.
7.22 which included the steep hill and then Home stretch.
At this point I am not fussed about time, it’s all about the people around me. I have been reeling a guy in for three or four miles and he is now only 30m ahead. I can hear some puffing and blowing behind, perhaps also 30m. 7.17 for next mile, 1.1 to go, I know I still have a drop in the tank so decide to tuck in for protection from wind and try to get past on the run in.
Pace picks up markedly on entrance to the grounds and two people come steaming past....bugger that wasn’t the plan.
6.50 for that mile.
Full on effort, for about 200m, nipping past all just before finish chute, struggle over line and collapse.
66/500
8/58 ag

Some disappointment, but was windy and woke Day after to a stinking cold so not surprising it was all a bit of a struggle.

Onwards and upwards 8-)
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Kimbolton half marathon

Postby jonathon.e » 23 Aug 2018 06:44

Great result, given the inclement weather and illness, a fantastic time. Nice report too.
Pacing on an undulating course is always difficult, well done.
As for those couple that raced past at the end, well, there is always next time.
Great work Jimba,
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Kevy427 » 23 Aug 2018 09:48

Good work, Jimba. Tough when you're not feeling great and the conditions aren't in your favour either. Still, not too shabby a time for a half-Marathon :)
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Aug 2018 09:54

Still a good run.... there's not that big a percentage difference between the various times....

Well done.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Ihavenonickname » 24 Aug 2018 15:06

So close to a PB when feeling rough. Good going mate, well done.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Cycling 248 miles, in 24 hours, from Plymouth to Pontardulais
bontride.wordpress.com
Ihavenonickname

Postby Jimba » 28 Aug 2018 19:01

Thanks guys, recovered from cold, just need to try and get some training in before next taper :lol:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Aug 2018 08:26

Jimba wrote:Thanks guys, recovered from cold, just need to try and get some training in before next taper :lol:

Rutland HM next (quite impressed that you can actually fit a HM in Rutland, let alone a marathon)?

Just over 2 weeks.

Best thing is to concentrate on the recovery :D

Can't find the course on Strava. Segment search is very week. Sure they used to have an activity search too, but must have binned that.

Looks fairly flat round there though.

Given that it's the Great North Run the week before, I anticipating a high placing :D
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Jimba » 29 Aug 2018 17:02

Jack Hughes wrote:
Jimba wrote:Thanks guys, recovered from cold, just need to try and get some training in before next taper :lol:

Rutland HM next (quite impressed that you can actually fit a HM in Rutland, let alone a marathon)?

Just over 2 weeks.

Best thing is to concentrate on the recovery :D

Can't find the course on Strava. Segment search is very week. Sure they used to have an activity search too, but must have binned that.

Looks fairly flat round there though.

Given that it's the Great North Run the week before, I anticipating a high placing :D

Rutland - smallest county, but pretty hilly (remember the Rutland Ripple).
Good advice Jack, just looking to maintain fitness, whilst the races help in terms of full on effort at distance, the taper and recovery reduce overall training load. Will be interesting to see whether that means performance improving over the next few months or deteriorating.
The hm course is similar to Vitruvian with a critical difference, that being instead of two flat out and backs it’s a longer one and then an additional few miles at the end. From what I can see those few extra have some serious incline, can’t find an elevation profile for the course but did find something saying 200m of climbing in total. Don’t know if that is right or not will try to establish beforehand.
No cold, no niggles, fresh legs.....something around top 10% would be a good target. :D
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Aug 2018 18:51

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other: while the incline won't be good for PBs, you'll probably have an advantage over others around you, so better for (overall) placing. The ones around are likely to be younger but heavier (younger and lighter, they would be faster).
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Jimba » 31 Aug 2018 18:13

Grandchild #3 arrived today bouncing boy....and I mean bouncing 9lb 1oz :shock:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Next

Return to General Discussion