What are everyone's aspirations for the year?

General chat and questions go here

Re: What are everyone's aspirations for the year?

Postby Kevy427 » 16 Apr 2018 21:47

CCS wrote:spending more money on n+1 that I did on my first car

My first car, a Vauxhall Chevette, was £350. I guess your first motor vehicle must’ve been a similar cost?

Sounds like a reasonable investment rather than squandering your pennies on ShitCoin or whatever the latest digital crypto-currency is. Surprised you didn’t go for a full suspension marshmallow given the condition of the roads up in the northern hemisphere?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Bopomofo » 17 Apr 2018 11:48

In case anybody missed my utter delight on FB, Strava etc I got on my bike and did an 80 mile lap of the New Forest last Saturday.

That, more than anything, has convinced me there's life in the old dog yet. My wife & daughter remarked on how upbeat my mood has been since getting home on Saturday afternoon. :D

Another great motivator was my riding buddy, who by the end of the day was still flying up hills that were almost stopping me. He's 79kg, I'm 96kg. Instead of hating myself for being lardy, it has really inspired me.

I like doing this stuff. Can't stop grinning every time I look at the finisher's medal.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby jonathon.e » 17 Apr 2018 17:59

Kevy427 wrote:
CCS wrote:spending more money on n+1 that I did on my first car

My first car, a Vauxhall Chevette, was £350. I guess your first motor vehicle must’ve been a similar cost?

Sounds like a reasonable investment rather than squandering your pennies on ShitCoin or whatever the latest digital crypto-currency is. Surprised you didn’t go for a full suspension marshmallow given the condition of the roads up in the northern hemisphere?

Ooh snap, my first car was a Vauxhall Shovette, £800, and a similar price to my first decent bike, both served me well, the bike still going strong and I doubt it will be sold on, short arms, deep pockets and all, as for the car, after the second engine I upgraded to a Metro ( MG), of course :lol:
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby jonathon.e » 17 Apr 2018 18:00

Bopomofo wrote:In case anybody missed my utter delight on FB, Strava etc I got on my bike and did an 80 mile lap of the New Forest last Saturday.

That, more than anything, has convinced me there's life in the old dog yet. My wife & daughter remarked on how upbeat my mood has been since getting home on Saturday afternoon. :D

Another great motivator was my riding buddy, who by the end of the day was still flying up hills that were almost stopping me. He's 79kg, I'm 96kg. Instead of hating myself for being lardy, it has really inspired me.

I like doing this stuff. Can't stop grinning every time I look at the finisher's medal.

Nice one Bopo, motivation comes in many guises :D
jonathon.e

Postby jonathon.e » 17 Apr 2018 18:02

CCS wrote:
Jack Hughes wrote:My road bike is now nearly 10 years old. Every time I price up a replacement I end up thinking "I'm not spending that much on a bike".

I ended up in a bit of a similar position - I got Champ in 2009 (and he wasn't new then) - and have indeed ended up spending more money on n+1 that I did on my first car... but I justified it as being a significant birthday present to myself, plus sitting on a bit of redundancy money that it seemed rude not to invest in cheering myself up rather than something dull like putting it in a pension...

n+1 (should I ever find time to actually collect it) is a Trek Emonda Disc with some sort of electronic gadgetry (which I am not entirely sure I believe in... but when making such a significant investment, I figured I might as well get all the options, as I am not planning on ever needing another bike unless I break this one...). The plan was just to have a nice toy for pootling around the roads on (probably would have gone for a Domane as being even more suitable for leisurely riding for the elderly, but that would have cost even more, and trying to be semi-budget conscious).

Will be quite exciting to actually have a brand new bike, as everything other then My Little Pony (who cost the princely sum of £465, but was responsible for getting me into this mess) has been second hand.

Very nice, but discs and electronic gadgetry, surely that is Witchcraft :o
jonathon.e

Postby S11 » 25 Apr 2018 13:57

Bopomofo wrote:In case anybody missed my utter delight on FB, Strava etc I got on my bike and did an 80 mile lap of the New Forest last Saturday.

I always remember on 220 Triathlon....all those moons ago. I once wrote about how I couldn't climb hills seated. This chap then commented....he was called Bopomofo.

He said....when you feel like standing up....stay seated cause F@CKING Bopo said so.

This is true to this day, I can't get that out my head...so much so that I very rarely stand.

Why am I saying this...life grinds us down...god I know too well. Unless we find something we love doing, then we are screwed. So get on your bike. Enjoy yourself because S11 f@cking said so!!! :D :D :D

chuffed for you dude
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby Bopomofo » 29 Apr 2018 03:13

He said....when you feel like standing up....stay seated cause F@CKING Bopo said so.

This is true to this day, I can't get that out my head...so much so that I very rarely stand.

Bopo still says "sit the fuck down". Save standing up for really, REALLY desperate times.

And you, mate, you are one of the people who reminds me to get on my bike and just bloody love it. You, that RAF twat and the Northern Witch all inspire me to just ride the damned thing. :D
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby S11 » 30 Apr 2018 13:49

Bopomofo wrote:

Bopo still says "sit the fuck down". Save standing up for really, REALLY desperate times.

And you, mate, you are one of the people who reminds me to get on my bike and just bloody love it. You, that RAF twat and the Northern Witch all inspire me to just ride the damned thing. :D

No dramas bud....you'll get there. After a quality bike ride on Sunday where I was facing the possibility of admitting that I was unfit....I go and sit comfortably at an ave 17.3mph with Ave HR144bpm....2500ft of climbing as well. On Sunday, I found a lot of love for my bike again...something that has been missing for a few years.......

You'll get back there....first just enjoy it, then simply take it from there.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby Kevy427 » 30 Apr 2018 16:03

The gash weather we’ve been having of late doesn’t really help with motivation to get out on the bike either. Amazing what a difference a spot of sunshine can make...
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Jimba » 04 May 2018 06:42

jonathon.e wrote:
Jimba wrote:Impressive. An Ironman is on my to do list but never had the discipline to train for it and the clock is obviously ticking....very loudly :)

With your years of experience I am confident you will be on that start line in a good enough state to “enjoy” it ;)

Sound like you have a great holiday tacked onto it too.

Keep us posted.

Thank you Jimba, I will try :D

Hopefully I will get to write up a report as I recuperate .

Best of luck Jon, have a great race.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion