What are everyone's aspirations for the year?

General chat and questions go here

What are everyone's aspirations for the year?

Postby jonathon.e » 17 Mar 2018 11:58

So spring has sprung and they have already starting to cancel events, The Clumber Park Duathlon for one, due to the chance of inclement weather.
Jimba seems to be showing the youngsters how to run, Jack is running his fantastic Hell of the North ride, Craig appears to be doing the Manchester Marathon, what about everyone else, aspirations, aims, tick lists for the year etc?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Re: What are everyone's aspirations for the year?

Postby Jimba » 17 Mar 2018 14:12

I have a watershed race next weekend, 20mile run which will be my longest ever. If it goes well I am going for MK marathon in May aiming for gfa time for London next year.
If it doesn’t go well, I am reverting back to tri for the year and possibly a middle in July/August. Being the wrong side of 55, shame not to benefit from being in young end of age group, whereas in running I am at the wrong end!
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 17 Mar 2018 16:11

Jimba wrote:I have a watershed race next weekend, 20mile run which will be my longest ever. If it goes well I am going for MK marathon in May aiming for gfa time for London next year.
If it doesn’t go well, I am reverting back to tri for the year and possibly a middle in July/August. Being the wrong side of 55, shame not to benefit from being in young end of age group, whereas in running I am at the wrong end!

Best of luck Jimba, either way good or bad, you have gained endurance which can produce speed in shorter events. Not too worry if it doesn't go to plan in the 20 miler, in a marathon the last six miles can be a bit hit or miss as your body starts to rebel even with perfect planning, new pastures and all that. Even if it goes south, try the marathon, the best results happen when you least expect them.
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 17 Mar 2018 20:21

As ever Jon...sage advice. Will update you on the experiment!
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Kevy427 » 17 Mar 2018 22:04

No specific target other than to get motivated and exercise more. The black dog is doing its best to hamper things and the weather isn’t exactly helping. Not long until the clocks go forward, lighter evenings, palm trees swaying in the gentle breeze, Piña Colada in hand as I pedal slowly along the quiet country lanes with not a car in sight. Apart from the queue behind me...
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Mar 2018 11:54

Kevy427 wrote:No specific target other than to get motivated and exercise more. The black dog is doing its best to hamper things and the weather isn’t exactly helping. Not long until the clocks go forward, lighter evenings, palm trees swaying in the gentle breeze, Piña Colada in hand as I pedal slowly along the quiet country lanes with not a car in sight. Apart from the queue behind me...

It isn't a queue behind you, just a bunch of admirers, and entourage ;)

Yes, hopefully the weather will improve, I don't mind going out in the crap weather, it is just the constant punctures from the washout on the roads.
jonathon.e

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Mar 2018 11:56

Oops, forgot to say what my aspirations were, hence the other post, sadly not the Commonwealth games, but a small race later in early May, if, I can get rid of my injuries and get to the start line, fit to finish, the small matter of Ironman Australia.
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 18 Mar 2018 12:34

jonathon.e wrote:Oops, forgot to say what my aspirations were, hence the other post, sadly not the Commonwealth games, but a small race later in early May, if, I can get rid of my injuries and get to the start line, fit to finish, the small matter of Ironman Australia.

:o :o

Tell more!!
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 18 Mar 2018 13:09

Jimba wrote:
jonathon.e wrote:Oops, forgot to say what my aspirations were, hence the other post, sadly not the Commonwealth games, but a small race later in early May, if, I can get rid of my injuries and get to the start line, fit to finish, the small matter of Ironman Australia.

:o :o

Tell more!!

I turned fifty a year ago, and initially I though about doing the Kilimanjaro marathon and climbing the mountain, but Africa isn't a stable area for what I wanted to do, safari etc. I enjoy Ironman events, Mrs J loves Australia, so taking a month off work, which took some doing for us both, doing the race in the first week and then letting Mrs J. Enjoy a well earned break. The down side is the amount of injuries that keep knocking me back, the event is never a race for me, I won't bother the AG winners, so to finish is enough, always the journey to find out more about myself than the finish. As for the weather at the moment, last time I got outside on a bike was January, sitting on a static bike in the gym for three hours, is mind numbing and sitting on a pin cushion would be more comfortable. Just need to be fit to finish.
Flying to Sydney, then driving to Port Macquarie, over to Adelaide, diving with the Great Whites, Melbourne and back via Sydney.

The race is May 7th, there is an app, follow the link, so you can track competitors, at the moment it still has last years competitors on the list, just a few weeks to go.

http://m.eu.ironman.com/triathlon/event ... a/app.aspx
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 18 Mar 2018 13:28

Impressive. An Ironman is on my to do list but never had the discipline to train for it and the clock is obviously ticking....very loudly :)

With your years of experience I am confident you will be on that start line in a good enough state to “enjoy” it ;)

Sound like you have a great holiday tacked onto it too.

Keep us posted.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Next

Return to General Discussion