Woking Sprint Tri - 24/04/2016

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Woking Sprint Tri - 24/04/2016

Postby kfjatek » 26 Apr 2016 12:14

A quick and dirty RR from last Sunday's race.

Signed up to this as a C race to open the season with and blow the racing cobwebs.

General thoughts
Great feeling to have raced again - haven't done it in anger for pretty much 2 years. Need to find some more small events and sign up, just for the fun of it.
It was COLD! Couldn't feel my feet throughout the bike & run.

Swim - 400m - 6:41
16 lengths in a single lane, with three other folks. Nice and relaxed throughout; came out of the pool fresh as a daisy. Thinking now I maybe should have pushed a bit more, although I'm not sure the time gain vs. the energy spend would have been worth it. Probably not. Still, pretty confident I could have swum it in the 6:20s.

Bike - 23km - 42:51
Figure 8 course, with North loop and South loop, the latter being done twice. Relatively flat, but quite a few "Give way" spots and one hopeless set of traffic lights on an incline over a rail bridge.

Considerably slower than I'd expected, although I was only overtaken by 3 folks on the course, including the overall winner. Probably about 3 minutes or so lost through the aforementioned traffic lights (slowing, waiting, setting off) - I managed to get caught out on both loops, like a numpty.
Pretty windy too - 245W-ish average power, but it only got me about 32kph average speed. There were places where I was all-out and felt like I was barely moving forward. Also noticed I'm erring on the conservative side when it comes to bends / crossroads / etc. - more than I used to before my little off in March. Need to spend more time on the TT bike vs. the road bike to get the confidence back.

Also, it feels like my TT shoes are a bit on the loose side - thinking of swapping them for my regular cycling shoes for Poland to get better power transfer - worth it for middle distance race I think.

Run - 5k (a bit short, actually) - 22:19
3 nice loops in the park. Mostly on paved surface, with a little bit of muddy off-road thrown in.

Not quite the pace I was hoping/planning for (4:47 vs 4:30 min/km), but believe it or not, I think this was actually the first time I've run a sub-5:00 min/km 5k off the bike. Only on the last loop I started to have feeling in my feet though - otherwise it felt like running on pieces of wood.. In hindsight I probably could have pushed more on that third loop to gain time.

Overall: 1:15:01 - mixed feelings about the result (especially the bike split), but happy to have blown the racing cobwebs. There's another one of these in September - planning to take part again and shoot for sub-1:10.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Re: Woking Sprint Tri - 24/04/2016

Postby CCS » 26 Apr 2016 13:22

Great stuff!
Very interested to hear about this one, what with it being so local etc. Know those traffic lights well - hill start on the bridge in a queue of traffic is always fun! Perhaps if I am tempted back to triathlon, this might be a good option - how was the organisation etc?

kfjatek wrote:Run - 5k (a bit short, actually) - 22:19
3 nice loops in the park. Mostly on paved surface, with a little bit of muddy off-road thrown in.

So - the quagmire of doom from Parkrun over the winter has dried up quite a bit then?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 26 Apr 2016 14:15

Well done.

Sounds pretty good really.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby kfjatek » 26 Apr 2016 16:56

CCS wrote:Perhaps if I am tempted back to triathlon, this might be a good option - how was the organisation etc?

Very good value for money I'd say. Chip timing included, so the most important bit is there. Bike/run course well sign-posted. A bit short on the marshals on the bike course, I'd say (4 altogether), but then you don't really need many more on a small race like that.

Any other bells and whistles (tee, medal) are optional and paid for extra, which is I think just perfect. If, like me, you're not bothered about these things and prefer to have a cheap and cheerful little race, that's exactly what you can get. I think it was 35 or 40 quid to enter. Oh, and you get a mini bag of Haribos in your goodie bag, plus some Maoam - they know how to make you come back for more.. ;-)

Next one is in September, if you want to have a go CCS. :-)

CCS wrote:So - the quagmire of doom from Parkrun over the winter has dried up quite a bit then?

It was very much still there, you'll be glad to hear - that's the "muddy off-road" bit I think.

Jack Hughes wrote:Sounds pretty good really.

Thanks - not overly impressed myself, but a good benchmark for the beginning of the season I guess. Will be good to see how I do at the autumn one.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Jimba » 27 Apr 2016 18:02

Doesn't sound bad to me either, but we all know that it's only you who really know, but you still get a "well done" from me!
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Return to Race Reports