The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else breaks)

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: The long road to Ruin(ed ankles, knees whatever else bre

Postby md6 » 04 Aug 2015 15:03

So I ran at lunchtime 4 miles in 32'08
In keeping with my more sensible training I decided to run by HR today: Aiming for a target of 150 for the first 2 miles, then aim for 155 for the second half.
Set off well, feeling comfortable but the HR was a little below target, I decided not to worry and just to relax and keep the pace low, keeping the average down a little as I know it takes a mile or so for my HR to get up to speed. Kept holding back and keeping it easy the whole way, it felt fine if a little strange to hold back to much - particularly when people were passing but I managed it. There was a fair bit of traffic meaning that I had to stop and start a bit, which I think helped keep the HR down and give little breaks for it to fall a bit.
mile splits were:
7'48 - Av hr 135;8'03 av hr 151; 8'02 av hr 156; 8'15 av hr 159

the HR crept up a little towards the end which is to be expected - the large portion of the 4th mile is uphill (from Blackfriars to bank on queen victoria street just in case anyone's interested). Legs felt good all the way and the HR was ok, but I feel like my lungs have some catching up to do. I had a bit of a cough when I finished but that could be pollution
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Jack Hughes » 04 Aug 2015 16:30

That looks good.

Hopefully you shouldn't feel anything in an hour or two. Which should set you up nicely for the same again... thus developing consistency :D
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby md6 » 04 Aug 2015 16:53

that's the plan. I'm hoping to be able to train every day until Sunday after that i'll take a few days off until I get to France next Wednesday...
cycle home tonight, then tomorrow i'll commute again and hit the pool for between 1.5 and 2k
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby kfjatek » 05 Aug 2015 13:48

Fancy making a trip down to Kent this weekend to recce the Hever/Gauntlet bike routes? Saturday or Sunday, both should work for me.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby md6 » 05 Aug 2015 13:51

So Cycle commute again this morning, and it seemed like I was flying. I wasn't really putting in more effort than normal but the average speed seemed to be much higher, arrived at the office car park after 29'35 (it took me 32'xx to get home yesterday but there was a head wind for some of it) I know that I was a little luckier with the lights than normal but I have autopause on so lights tend not to add huge amounts of time to the moving time. certainly not ~3 minutes. I did have a very strong coffee this morning before I left which could have something to do with it...but I also found an annoying bit of rear wheel wobble. looks like the hub needs checking out and adjusting, so i'll get the gears checked while its in the shop too just to make sure that they're running nice and smooth. I've been promised that I can drop it off Monday night and get it back Tuesday night ready to go to Les Stables on Wednesday super early o'clock.

Swim at lunchtime. I had a nice solid swim and knocked out 2,033m in 34'59, which i'm very happy with. felt a little like I was slowing in the second k but I managed to pick it back up and focus on technique which stayed reasonably strong through the set.

nice steady amble home and then I will put the bike away until Monday, i'll spin before work and then run at lunchtime tomorrow instead of my commute.

Sports massage Friday - i'm going to need it! :shock:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 05 Aug 2015 13:54

kfjatek wrote:Fancy making a trip down to Kent this weekend to recce the Hever/Gauntlet bike routes? Saturday or Sunday, both should work for me.

I'd like to but unfortunately can't - bike needs to fettling and the house needs to work on it...which is the story of my life it seems.

I could do either the 30th or the 31st (bank hol) if that would work for you?
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby kfjatek » 05 Aug 2015 14:25

Away for the long weekend unfortunately. Ah well.

2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby md6 » 06 Aug 2015 09:20

Well, today was a bit crap.

As the bike needs fettling I decided to come in early and go to the gym to use the wattbike...it was awful. I set off feeling ok, holding my HR nice and steady at about 145, then after about 10 minutes I just started to feel empty, tired and couldn't maintain the focus or effort. I hoped that I would get through it, and held on for another 5 minutes, it didn't get any better so I canned it and sat in the steam room for 15 minutes and drank a full bottle of water, then almost another after I got out.

I think there are two reasons for this, I was slightly dehydrated from yesterday - I realised that I had only drunk about 2 litres of water, plus 2 coffees and 2 teas yesterday (aprox 3.5 to 4 litres of fluid). Given that my cycle commute and the swim at lunchtime, that probably wasn't enough, ok it definitely wasn't enough! I also hadn't eaten before heading to the gym. The second reason was that I hadn't really slept well, plus I felt a little tired. I haven't done this much training for a while either, which would also account for the tired legs.

UPDATE:

OK it seems it was hydration. after 2.5l of fluid (mostly water but also some high5 zero) and some breakfast I went for a run, felt ok, legs a little tired but nothing major. managed to hold a very consistent HR/pace for the first 4.5 miles then it started to increase as I got frustrated by the idiots in my way...anyway 5 miles in 40:28 mile splits/HR were
8'02 - 140; 7'56 - 149; 7'53 - 155; 8'03 - 159; 8'30 - 161
mile 3is tht same long up drag and changed the route to add the mile at the end so it was more up and down than normal. could (possibly should) have eased back a little after mile 2 but felt good and wasn't exactly pushing so just kept the effort steady. eased back on the last half mile as the HR was a little high (it hit 163 I think)
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 10 Aug 2015 13:13

my plan to go for a run on Saturday didn't work out I was kept busy with house stuff, knocking down a wall in the garden, shopping and all sorts of other cr*p that id rather not have done...anyway, so I eguess using a sledgehammer to take down the wall could count as strength training! ha

Bike commute in to the office today, took it very steady no efforts and tried to keep spinning. did the route in 31'35 but was really lucky on traffic, lights, and barely had to stop otherwise that would've been much slower. Take the bike into the shop tonight to get the back wheel hub looked at and gears checked out before les stables - will ride it home tomorrow and then that's me done before the real stuff kicks off in france. :shock:
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Postby md6 » 20 Aug 2015 15:53

Um, I done a Les Stables week, and only skipped one session from the plan (I had a hangover and slept through). I replaced it with an hours gentle spin out later in the day.

Felt good and strong on the bike, stronger as the week went on. Running was passable, i'm still heavy and look really big on film...Kevy, not like that!

I cycled to work this morning and it was difficult. But I think pretty fast, but my garmin was dead so I have no idea if it was just hard work or if it was fast.

Will download the garmin data tonight and see how I actually went etc. on the week out there.
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs