Kimbolton sprint

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Kimbolton sprint

Postby Jimba » 21 Jul 2015 10:07

Where: Kimbolton School, Kimbolton, Cambs
When: 19 July 2015
Organiser: Justracing
Course details: Pool swim, out and back bike, 3 lap grass run
Distance(s): 400m, 20k, 5k
Marshalling: Plenty, friendly at all critical junctions
Facilities: Burger van, toilets, Massage!
Technical: Chip timing, free photography
Freebies: Technical T shirt

Prep – Have done a decent amount of training since the start of the year, heavily slanted to running, then biking and only three swims. Was disappointed with last event (Oly) and so decided would taper properly this time. Going to a party the night before with GAT didn’t help, but what can you do in the summer!

Arrived with about an hour to go, slightly thick head but had a few drinks to clear it, then realised had forgotten my garmin - bollocks. I was doing it with a mate from work, his first ever, he was off slightly earlier than me so helped him get set up, and saw him off in the swim. Got my stuff sorted and ready for the start.

Swim – went remarkably well, 16uneventful lengths out, run to transition and over the mat in 9.56 – seems par whether I train or not! Fairly quick T1 (.49) and out, 40m run to mount line and then careful out of the school grounds, foot down for a mandatory stop, and finally properly off. Due to roadworks there had been a last minute course change from a picturesque loop, to a straight out and back – unfortunately the road surface was poor – not in respect of potholes and hazards, but the surface was very grainy as if it was waiting for a top coat of nice smooth tarmac. It was also slightly long (I reckon a mile and a bit), no garmin so no idea distance/speed/HR – felt like I was putting in a good effort though. Passed my mate on his way back looking comfortable and about 5/6 mins later went round the roundabout and headed home. Pushed really hard all the way on the bike, figuring my run training would see me right. Bike 40.46 (initially disappointed) T2 .50.

Run – first 1k I thought I might have overcooked it on the bike as I was running though treacle. It eased off, got into my rhythym and started to push harder and harder. Its not the best run course – three laps (I don’t mind two but three usually gets a bit congested) – but that many laps does help with pacing (when you have no tech!), so paced my effort as best I could giving my mate a big slap on the arse at the start of the third lap. Crossed the line 20.12.

Total 1.12.32
44/232
3/18 AG – ref time 1.06.34

So for anything other than a small field, this is my best triathlon result. It looks from everyone else’s results that the bike was long – the winner only did 36.30 which puts my time into good context. Very happy with the run, assume it was the full 5k as the top guys were all around the 16/17/18 mark, and it was on grass. My mate finished his first triathlon very pleased with himself and wanting to do another – result! Some people from work had come to watch and we all went back to my mates for a bbq afterwards and had a nice afternoon in the sun. Great day.

My season was drifting a bit before this, but now re-invigorated and looking to get 3/4 more in before the end of the season.

Last but not least, as ever from Justracing a really well organised and enjoyable event.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Kimbolton sprint

Postby jonathon.e » 21 Jul 2015 11:01

Another great result, well done :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 21 Jul 2015 11:16

Great result!

Also a report which has some intriguing aspects.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jimba » 21 Jul 2015 11:43

Thanks guys. Intriguing aspects Jack?
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Worrying Will » 21 Jul 2015 16:29

another cracker. Well done
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby King Sad » 23 Jul 2015 06:31

Well done Jimba

A podium in front of your work mates :D Result :D

See you at the Last Minute?
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Jimba » 23 Jul 2015 13:12

Looking a very strong possibility KS :D
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Return to Race Reports