Casco Speedster helmet

Got a new shiny piece of kit? Or something tried and trusted? Tell us about it.

Casco Speedster helmet

Postby King Sad » 03 Jan 2015 16:07

The blurb

Developed following in-depth studies at Audi’s wind tunnel facilities in Germany providing the same aerodynamic benefits as a Time Trial helmet, without sacrificing on ventilation or posture.

Results from Thermal testing at Audi’s new climatic wind tunnel allowed Casco to optimise the ventilation systems of the helmet ensuring that riders do not overheat whilst using the helmet despite the improved aerodynamic profile.

Removeable patented visor prevents swirling air around earpieces and unimpeded field of vision, even in deepest position. The visor is also completely mirrored/tinted to act as a replacement for sunglasses and protect your vision from ultra-violet sunlight with UV400 protection, camera flash and other sudden changes in light. The Anti-Fog, Anti-Glare technology also aids in preventing any disturbance to vision.

My experience.

A very well made helmet. It is very similar to the more expensive Speed Airo but has less vents and does not have the Aerofit net cushion system.

The visor is superb, optically perfect with no distortion and has a subtle mirror finish (CCS will like). There are vents at the top of the visor to prevent fogging and the nose area has a foam cushion for comfort.

If you are a contact lens wearer then the vortex generated inside creates a negative pressure and you can feel the lens lifting away from the eyeball so not recommended. Fear not oh optically challenged people, spectacles can easily and comfortably worn and the helmet put on and taken off without too much trouble.

The visor is supposed to divert the air around the ears to reduce turbulence, certainly I did not experience any wind noise so can only presume it works. The visor is held in place by an elastic fastening should you want to lift it away from the face.

The helmet is secured with the usual type of ratchety type wheel thing at the rear which adjusts up and down but apart from adjusting the length of the chin strap the other straps are fixed length. The clasp is different in that there is no loop around a ring and press stud; instead there is a hook and ring affair which is released by pulling on a release. Bit of practice and easy peasy.

I have not worn it in cold or rainy weather so can't vouch for fogging/misting but have worn it in 32C heat and experienced no fogging or overheating whatsoever.

The reason why I bought this is that I have spodilitis and holding a pointy helmet in position for 3 hours was hurting. Unlike a conventional road helmet it does not have any sticky out bits and is rounded and according to the blurb and intuitively should be more aerodynamic.

Price
RRP £145
Currently, best price £120, I bought mine for £105 from Veledrome.net - bargain. Keep watching and it might drop again.

EDIT The visor alone costs £45 so if you can get the helmet for £105, like I did, makes it even more of a bargain.
Highly recommended for long distance events allowing a more relaxed head position; with the head slightly lowered one's profile is also slightly reduced.

Summary:
+ Fit, comfort, ventilation, superb visor, value
- Elastic retention might not suit some
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Casco Speedster helmet

Postby CCS » 05 Jan 2015 11:18

Very stylish. Have to admit that I did just go searching for that one with the red visor, as I thought it might look a bit smart with my new kit ... but a bit disappointed that apparently it is grey and orange in real life.
Could this be a new, more financially restrained me for 2015?

Sent using some sort of new fangled technology
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Jan 2015 11:32

CCS wrote:Could this be a new, more financially restrained me for 2015?

:o :o :o :o :o

Power meter.
New kit.
Petrol money as you drive up and down the motorways all weekend.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 05 Jan 2015 18:56

Jack Hughes wrote:

Power meter.
New kit.

Well, if you put it like that, I might as well have that lot; a new hat; a Speed Concept, and that rather nice cashmere jumper I have my eye on.....
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Jan 2015 18:58

CCS wrote:
Jack Hughes wrote:

Power meter.
New kit.

Well, if you put it like that, I might as well have that lot; a new hat; a Speed Concept, and that rather nice cashmere jumper I have my eye on.....

Go on. You're worth it
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby King Sad » 05 Jan 2015 20:14

Well I can see a lot of essential items there but a cashmere jumper? How can you wear that under a skinsuit?

King Sad

Postby Bopomofo » 05 Jan 2015 23:40

KS... A question which is not as odd as it sounds: what is your head shaped like? Do you have any probs with other helmets (oh, ffs, Kevy is going to have a field day here) in terms of fit.

I have a large head and find problems with fitting on the corners at the front (imagine Kryten from Red Dwarf) and often in the length of my head (imagine the creature from Alien)

The hat I currently have is [was] the comfiest I've ever found, but the padding is going flat and it smells like the inside of CCS's old neoprene gloves, so looking for a semi-aero alternative.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby King Sad » 06 Jan 2015 07:37

Bopo, perfectly valid question and I should have mentioned. I have a small head and face. For Kevy's benefit ... Just got my helmet out and had a play, size 54-58 and narrowish at the front. There is a large size 59-63cm. Hope that helps.

King Sad

Postby Kevy427 » 06 Jan 2015 07:53

Goodness me, all this talk about helmets is making me want to get mine out and give it a quick polish
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Big_Show » 06 Jan 2015 08:09

Kevy427 wrote:Goodness me, all this talk about helmets is making me want to get mine out and give it a quick polish

You should never have let it get so dirty in the first place.
Big_Show

Next

Return to Kit Reviews