An imaginative title for yet another Scibby training log...

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: An imaginative title for yet another Scibby training log

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 18 Jun 2014 16:29

Great stuff. How you enjoyed it given the picture you paint I don't get, but well done!

1. I must fix whatever is going on with my abs/sides/ stitch problem.

Have you looked at food intolerances? For years I have struggled with training and abdominal issues, leading to 'The Haribo Diet' where I shunned healthy things in favour of low roughage food such as Haribo, tried various fads, and ultimately ended up at the doctors last year in a sorry state where I was told I had IBS and put on medication. One of the more likely causes along the way was the suggestion of being coeliac. I don't think I am, but a wheat intolerance might fit with my elimination experiments. Anyway, enough waffle, the result is there is a correlation with eating wheat products and abdominal pain/runners trots/other nasties when training hard/racing. If you haven't tried an elimination diet then it might be worth trying wheat/gluten free for a month. Also look at FODMAP diet stuff if you do as I've found with my latest bout of IBS that a low FODMAP diet is keeping it in check a bit more than just wheat free. Hope you can clear it up.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CCS » 23 Jun 2014 09:09

Great work at Windsor! Pretty good performance against your targets.
Still hugely impressed that you manage all of this when your kids are still so little - it's quite an achievement juggling all that!
What's the next objective?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby scibby » 30 Jul 2014 11:25

What's next? ...Turned out to be falling off the radar for a month!

So quick recap: Went to France. Was surprised to discover I was in better shape than expected. Cycled with the faster girls group and was actually pretty strong within that group - did alot of work up front. Really enjoyed it too: the weather, the scenery and being able to relax, not worrying about being about to break. Super cycling.

Running was meh. Slow, stitchy, but still managed to do a 15km trail run. Which was about 5km longer than my previous longest run...

Swim was awesome: hadn't had my stroke filmed for ages but was pretty pleased with results. Sibbs had me work on timing and front quadrant, which it turn seemed to fix my body roll. Day one was 1:45 per 100 with 30-odd strokes. Day 5 was 1:42 per 100 with 20-22 strokes AND i thought it was super slow, it felt super easy. Very pleased with that.

Then to Sicily for family holiday and onto Malta for more family holiday. Training equals exactly zero.

Then teeth, still zero training. I should manage to get back on it this weekend, just in time for... yes, more fecking family holidays, this time Scotland. And no I'm not taking the bike cos UBAT still hasn't resolved something as a bike carrier...Grrrr.

So that was July. To be fair, i probably did more training in 6 days in France than I normally do all month so...

Into August and September and there is ONLY one real objective: GET INTO DECENT RUN SHAPE (and keep bike and swim ticking over).

RUN OBJECTIVES:
1)
Complete a 4x per week, 6 week running plan (which should lead to)
2) Run a 26min 5km on the 13 September...

Note this a big stretch, definitely a post-babies PB and very close to a lifetime best. I'm currently running around 29-30 min for 5km, sooooooo.... objective 2) might get rolled over week on week...
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Kevy427 » 30 Jul 2014 11:50

Still getting the stitch when you run? No more thoughts as to why?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby kfjatek » 30 Jul 2014 11:59

I think you could run a 26 min 5k tomorrow if you wanted/needed to. HTFU scibby.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby scibby » 30 Jul 2014 13:01

Kevy, Well, I was getting them last time I ran. I'm nearly sure it's tight hip flexors. Did some really good work on Craig's balls ;-) * when In France and that seemed to work quite well.

* massage ball

And yes kqwerty, people seem to think I should be able to run 25/26min. But the fact remains that I haven't, in a long time. A great deal of the issue is in my head but it's not as if I can just switch this off... Train it, yes... We had had a good debate on this a couple of years ago, when again I was struggling to run fast. Don't know if you were around then...
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
28/09. Hever Olympic
scibby

Postby kfjatek » 30 Jul 2014 13:10

Run with *someone*. If they pace you at an even 5 min/km you'll keep up with them, likely without even knowing it. Easier than doing it on your own.

2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Tritans » 30 Jul 2014 16:48

kfjatek wrote:Run with *someone*. If they pace you at an even 5 min/km you'll keep up with them, likely without even knowing it. Easier than doing it on your own.

Yes, ask Jack Hughes to come down and do his warm up with you. Pretty much guarantees a PB. :roll:
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby CCS » 31 Jul 2014 09:15

You're back!!!

The joys of children and summer holidays... I am more and more coming to the conclusion that getting the bulk of racing out of the way before July is the way to go!

I have found that good old turbo intervals (thank you, Trainer Road) seem to have helped no end with run speed (and have the added advantage that they are easily slotted in when children are meant to be in bed).
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby scibby » 31 Jul 2014 09:33

Indeed...

Yes, the training plan is 4 runs, 2 turbos, 1 swim...

Oh, and in other news, I have approval to carry on not working until Sept 2015! Whoop whoop... So at least it's just home/kids/training that I need juggle (as opposed to work/home/kids/training)

Then Elsa starts school, which presents another set of childcare/work issues but at least it'll be free!
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
28/09. Hever Olympic
scibby

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs