SickBoy's Training Log - All killer no filler.

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: SickBoy's Training Log

Postby kfjatek » 15 Apr 2014 07:47

SickBoy wrote:Currently tempted to pencil in IM Mont Tremblant for 2015 even though I think it's probably a bad idea.

Funny how many people on here start considering a race with this thought in mind. And almost invariably end up doing it anyway! :-)

SickBoy wrote:After all I've seen what Mick can do and there are lunchtime Badminton games at Ubisoft. By 2015 I'll be ready for anything!

I'm almost thinking we're on the verge of creating a completely new school of coaching for LD events here. "The Badminton Phenomenon" - pretty sure that book would be a bestseller!

Plenty of time to get back in shape for mid/late season events. HTFU and get out there!

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby SickBoy » 15 Apr 2014 22:55

Verdun sprint entered. Seems to be a lack of triathlons before August, maybe that's just Montreal.

IM Mont Tremblant 2015 took another step closer when I mentioned it in passing to the WAT. She agreed that I might as well enter while we're local!

Since mentioning riding my bike outside the snow has come back, yesterday it was 23 deg!

Envoyé de Montréal

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 20 Apr 2014 22:34

Rode a bike outside for the first time in ages today. Took my road bike (which I've not ridden for some time) to the top of Mont Royal (the big hill in Montreal) and back. 20km ride the climb up The hill is cat 4 according to Strava. Not as bad as I thought. In the UK I had some steeper climbs but all short. Not really in form at the moment so just wanted to get out there and see what the local climb was like. I think there's a loop that I can do where I go over the top and loop back around the base so maybe some reps of that. Still snow and ice at the summit! Felt like a winter ride in the UK.

One downside is riding in the city is constant stop start at intersections. Montreal is well served with a network of bike paths which I followed most of the way to Mont Royal. Maybe driving out of town to start is the thing to do for long rides!

Envoyé de Montréal

SickBoy

Postby Jack Hughes » 21 Apr 2014 08:34

What are trains like? Can you take your bike on a train to get out?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby SickBoy » 22 Apr 2014 12:57

I'll have to look into it. I heard the trains were basically rubbish because the automotive industry drove them out of business. They do interchange with the metro though and you can take bikes on that.

I should also clarify about the cycle lanes here. When its not winter there are segregated lanes on the side of the road for bikes. Either bollards or thin islands separate them so cycling around actually feels a lot safer than the UK

Envoyé de Montréal

SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 25 Apr 2014 03:39

Decided to work on a weakness today while swimming so did 10 x 25m kick in the middle of some FC.

My kick is rubbish. I understand the importance of it and do kick more now than I used to. I'm not really sure what rate I kick at while swimming normally. I'll have to check.

I think I do a 2 beat kick upping to 6 on shorter distances. I don't think I scissor kick or kick to wide. Toes probably don't point enough and I think my legs drag a little. Hence the idea to work on the kick in the first place.

I can barely manage 25m without needing to pause so I'm planning to work up to bigger sets. Focus on kick once a week.

It wasn't fun but that's part of the problem with self "coaching". Its easy to just do what you like rather than what you should.

I suppose this also means I will need to start running again. There's little excuse left now the snow and ice is gone...

Envoyé de Montréal

SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 15 May 2014 03:29

More kick today, think it's slowly improving and also helping stroke in general.

Also found a rough 5k route back home from work. Legs don't like running after so long though

Envoyé de Montréal

SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 20 Nov 2014 03:01

*cut to end of season*

Snow has arrived, too icy to run or ride outside this week and probably will be for a while. I haven't done much cycling for a while, taking a shirt break after racing and then work and life and family time and other excuses.

Need to get back into cycling, need something to motivate me though, perhaps tour of Sufferlandria again or even just some sort of plan.

Have found more time for running recently, on the treadmill that is but knocking out some decent sessions.

Swimming continues as ever, trying to work out why I am much faster with a pullbuoy. I don't think my legs and hips drop too much but I'm working to make sure I hold a good position without. I'm noticing I'm far more relaxed when swimming with the pill buoy, its worth about 1 sec per 25m so suspect maybe a weak core that has to work harder and so I tire quicker. Times are still a bit off PRs but OK.

Generally enjoying ticking over. Need to plan next years events.

The IM question still lurks.
Might see if I can have a blast at cross country skiing while I'm here...

SickBoy

Re: SickBoy's Training Log - All killer no filler.

Postby SickBoy » 20 Jan 2015 02:49

Renamed to reflect my quality not quantity method.

Now to start on some training...

SickBoy

Re: SickBoy's Training Log - All killer no filler.

Postby IanM » 20 Jan 2015 08:07

SickBoy wrote:Renamed to reflect my quality not quantity method.

Says the man about to start a massive overload block ;)
IanM

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs