15 Mile Team TT

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

15 Mile Team TT

Postby Tritans » 23 Mar 2014 19:02

15 Mile Team Time Trial – H15/10

This was the first race of the year for me and my lack of training had put off any likely partners from within the club, so I was forced to drag in a ringer, my old IM training partner Lloyd. This presented something of a dilemma for me, on the one hand he would undoubtedly be fitter than me, so would be able to provide a decent tow, but would he be too quick? The last thing I wanted was to not be able to hold my own (for a change Kev).

Race morning presented us with a howling wind, but bright skies, it looked promising. We were off at 14.08 so arranged to meet at 13.00 to give us plenty of time for registration and a bit of a warm up.

This course is based around Drift rd, which is on my doorstep, so I was able to have a couple of spins around it in anger, prior to the race.

Registration went smoothly, other than a slight disagreement about my wheel choice. “A disc hmm, bit windy for that isn’t it, what gearing have you got on it” 11-25 “What ! Where’s the 28, you know you’re shit at climbing” Cheers, nothing like a bit of a confidence boost before the race.

After registration we headed out to the start. The road that the Village Hall is on, bisects Drift Rd, so we turned right and headed towards the start. When we arrived, bar the occasional tumbleweed, nothing or more importantly no one, about. At this point we have 10mins to our start time, so a furiously fast 6km warm up to the other end of Drift entailed. We spotted the starters, pulled over, and after a brief discussion about the CTT putting the wrong course on the event website, we were off. With about 30 seconds to spare. AGAIN.

Our tactics had been based around the original course, Lloydie taking the uphills, me taking the downhills and sharing the flats as we saw fit. The new course didn’t fill me with joy as it meant 2 ascents of Hawthorne Hill, which although not steep, in TT mode, was going to be a real effort for me.

I lead us out, no starting issues. I went off like a scolded cat, really putting the hammer down to get us up to speed as quickly as possible. Within 500m, disaster, Lloydies fancy DI2 threw his chain. I feared the worst, I had visions of it being mangled or worse, snapped. But to his credit he righted it on the fly.

Hawthorne was as bad as I’d feared, I held on grimly, but at a high cost, only 5bpm min off my max HR. The remainder of the first lap continued fairly uneventfully. But as we started lap 2, we headed into a ferocious headwind, at this point our ave speed was 36.5kmh, my very loose target was 35kmh so I was pretty happy a this point.

Pretty soon things began to unravel. The head wind up Drift really took it’s toll and by the time we headed up Hawthorne for the final time we were managing a paltry 22kmh, I thought Lloyd was being kind, but it soon transpired that his previous days 15mile run had dented his reserves somewhat. I was tried to claw back some of our lost time when I suddenly noticed that there was no shadow behind me, the elastic had well and truly snapped.

We limped the remaining couple of km home and finished in 42.17, which averaged 34.6kmph. If I’m honest, despite all evidence pointing to the contrary, I was a little disappointed. We paced it badly, our teamwork was poor and despite the wind I felt we could have done better.

Nevertheless we headed back to HQ with the promise of cake.

Unbelievably our time was good enough to place us 2nd, although some 10mins off first. So despite it not being the strongest of renewals, we were rewarded with a crisp tenner each. Which after costs, left us each with a handsome £1 profit.

All in all a great day out and gives me a little confidence after a fairly disastrous start to the year.

Oh Honey and Date.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Re: 15 Mile Team TT

Postby Big_Show » 23 Mar 2014 19:13

Cluster-filled podium finish? A good first race of the year!

Sent from the north-east.
Big_Show

Postby kfjatek » 23 Mar 2014 19:14

Tritans wrote:Unbelievably our time was good enough to place us 2nd

...of two pairs? ;-)

Sounds like your latent base fitness (that famous Bendy Ben concept) served you well! Too bad you split towards the end, doesn't sound like it was such a bad effort at all up till then. Well done Ade.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Worrying Will » 23 Mar 2014 19:20

THE are really tough when the elastic breaks. Great effort. And £1 in profit.

written using my bestist willglish
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby IanM » 23 Mar 2014 19:55

Nicely done! Definitely not fun conditions for racing yesterday.
IanM

Postby jonathon.e » 23 Mar 2014 20:09

Excellent job, well done, and PRIZE money too, another one who has succumbed to the filthy lucre. Nice one :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby SickBoy » 23 Mar 2014 20:24

Good stuff! He put the chain back on while on the bike?! That is impressive!

If you can keep up this level then you could be up to £20 by the end of the year!

Envoyé de Montréal

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby CCS » 23 Mar 2014 20:31

Epic work!!! - and in the money too - very good!
Sheer class heading to the wrong start too.
Loved the camp picture...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Big_Show » 23 Mar 2014 20:32

If you got cash money as a prize, does that technicallly make you a professional now? :shock:

Sent from the north-east.
Big_Show

Postby Tritans » 23 Mar 2014 20:38

Yes, yes I think it does Big Show. As Sickboy pointed out, I could clear £20 this year. My resignation is going in on Monday.

CCS it didn't help the team spirit, thats for sure.

There were one or two surprised looks from teams who had already started as we busted a gut going in the opposite direction :-)

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Next

Return to Race Reports