2014 Time trialling Forum/Club BAR Competition

Postby Ewan » 28 May 2013 14:07

ROLL UP ROLL UP FOR THE GREAT FORUM BAR COMPETITION (FoBAR)

After it’s inaugural success in 2013, there is now an annual Forum Best All Rounder (BAR) competition. The competition is based on the historic British Best All Rounder (BBAR) competition (read all about it here and here), but since the aim of this competition is to get some more of us entering and racing some time trials, we’ll keep the distances a bit shorter.

Rules
* To be eligible for the FoBAR riders must submit their best two times of the season for both 10mile and 25mile time trials. The winner will be the rider who achieves the fastest average speed across all four rides.
* Because it's just for fun, the rules can be pretty lax, but all qualifying rides need to be genuine TTs, no home spun strava segments please. Local club events, or open competitions are all fine, so long as you’ve got a number pinned to your back.
* Submitted time should be the time keeper's, not whatever it happens to say on the Garmin. If you want to post a link (or hastily snapped phone photo) of the time sheet as "proof" then thats cool, but it's just for fun so we'll trust you if you don't.
* To enter, just click on the big red link below…

Spreadsheet Instructions
* Pretty self explanatory, but just enter your name and your best times for each distance. "10a" refers to your best 10mile time and "10b" to your second best time, so when you beat your seasons best, remember to edit your "b" time as well. Don't go buggering about with all the other columns because you'll only break it, and since I plagiarised it from another site I won't know how to fix it. :ninja:.
* The FoBAR is only run over 10 and 25mile distances, however because this is all just for a bit of fun, we encourage you to ride some longer events (e.g. 50mile) and post them up on the spreadsheet as well :-).

2014 FoBAR COMPETITION

Previous Results
2013 Won by CCS

For reference, I've edited this post... the original first post can be found here
Last edited by Ewan on 11 Jan 2014 23:50, edited 5 times in total.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ewan » 08 Jan 2014 17:23

Right... Since Titrans is filling out entry forms I thought I'd check ask what peoples plans are for the season??

I've given up training in favour of my PhD but I'm planning a new TT weapon so will hopefully get enough rides in to compete in this years FoBAR. When I'm back near internet again I'll update the first post and the BAR table for 2014.

Oh and I still owe CCS some cake for winning last years effort :-)
Ewan

Re: Time trialling Forum/Club BAR Competition

Postby CCS » 08 Jan 2014 20:13

I'll be back.
Races will probably be largely governed by what is in the SWETTS series - must get entries / exit passes sorted out.
Probably will try to do some evening 10s at Chertsey as well, being very local, though not a fast course.

Ewan wrote:Oh and I still owe CCS some cake for winning last years effort :-)

Trying to weigh me down with cake? :lol:
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Jan 2014 21:11

I certainly have some planned.

In a slough of despond at the moment, though. So all I can think about is how nice it would be to sleep for a few years.

Sent from my bloatafone using Elder Magick
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Ewan » 09 Jan 2014 17:34

CCS wrote:Trying to weigh me down with cake? :lol:

Exactly this... it's a handicap to stop the same person winning every year :-).
Ewan

Postby Bopomofo » 10 Jan 2014 12:11

As stated many times, I'm up for some TT action this year.

Do I recall that for the BAR competition the results have to come from Open events, rather than club events or self-timed Endo, Garmin Connect etc
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Postby Ewan » 10 Jan 2014 12:21

They have to come from official events so no endomondo/strava segments... you need to turn up, pay your entry fee (usually less than £5) and pin a number on your back, but they don't need to be open events. Most of my races last year were club events.
Ewan

Postby Jack Hughes » 10 Jan 2014 15:52

Need to be a proper club on a proper course.

Except national champ entries. They have to be from proper open events.

It's basically to stop you making stuff up. Or, at least, reduce it.

Sent from my bloatafone using Elder Magick
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Tritans » 10 Jan 2014 21:21

Yep entries going off tomorrow for a couple of early season 10's. the first one is in Feb, so best get this years spreadsheet sorted out Ewan ;-)
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Ewan » 11 Jan 2014 02:42

Errr... Right, I can't create a poll in an existing thread so I'll just trawl for general consensus and then do what I feel like regardless of what people think.

Look back at post 1 in this thread and you'll see that last year (because we didn't quite know what was going on...) we had two types of competition, a "Short BAR" (judged by your best time over 10, 25 and 50mile distances) and a "Junior BAR" (judged by your two best 10mile times and your top two 25mile times). Reviewing the results, it seems that no-one completed enough events to qualify for the "Short BAR" (Ade did a 100mile TT instead of a 50!), and CCS netted the title of "BCTTT Top Tester" by merit of being the only person to complete the distances for the "Junior BAR".

So, rather than faffing about, I think we should settle on a single format this year but which would you prefer? My personal preference would be the "Short BAR" competition because by covering a range of distances it is the truest test of "Best All Rounder" - also it might encourage a few people to race longer TTs which struggle for entries. However, since the point of the competition was to introduce people to TTing, perhaps we would have a greater take-up if we ran the "Junior BAR" type competition?

So, what format would you prefer for this 2014's BAR competition?
Ewan

Next

Return to Cycling Time Trials