Exmoor Beast

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Exmoor Beast

Postby JoddyBear » 23 Oct 2013 16:03

Where: Um Exmoor...
When: 20th October
Organiser: MIG events
Course details: Round and round, and up and down
Distance(s): 100 miles or 100 kilometers
Marshalling: Lots of bike marshalls, quite good signage except for the split
Facilities: Parking, changing, toilets, aid stations, what more could you ask?
Freebies: BEER!

My Race:
Well I got around. The short course anyway.

T'was tough. They'd moved the route around and it took in a couple of sections of the Wimbleball course this time.

Cregg and I set of about 8, there was a brief light shower that made us stop and put jackets on after about 5 minutes, but it only lasted for about 10 minutes so we just boiled after that.

I let Craig go ahead after the first 10 miles or so and then found myself coming through Morebath. My heart definitely sank when I realised where I was and which hills I was about to get to. Managed to cycle my way slowly up both, passed a few people walking already, topped Haddon Hill and started cruising again.

We came down the sketchy descent into Timberscombe again but it was much worse this year. Wet roads and loads of people going too fast. I saw three people crash out, and there was an ambulance trying to sort one guy out.

Got through that and it was an easy ride to Dunster and the first aid station at 35miles. Hot soup, a bag with soreen, flapjack, sausage roll and a 'nana in it, and a load of portaloos. Craig was just about to leave as I got there so I gave him the car keys, as we were both going for the 100 miler and he was obviously going to be back first.

Went out of there, and then started the climb of Dunkery Beacon 5 mile later. Managed the first 20 yards and got off and started pushing. Got up to the top and climbed back on, then realised that instead of firing us off to the right and down to the ford like last year, they were sending us on up the full flipping climb, all 3 1/2 miles of it. Found myself walking again pretty quickly.

Climbed on at the top and had to work pretty hard to get the bike to go down the hill at 10 mph. It was really blowy.

Carried on for a bit but by the time I hit the split point, I'd had enough. Back was aching, bum sore and legs hurty, so pulled left to the 100km and stopped to text Cregg and have a powerbar.

Went on for a few miles a bit more relaxed, knowing that I didn't have as far to go now. Got through Winsford and back onto the valley road, roads that I know, and started to feel quite good. Started putting a bit more power down on the rolling lumps now that there was no more proper climbing. I reckon my average speed went from about 12mph to about 20mph over the last hour.

Heavens opened as I got to Tiverton, did the last 2 miles or so in torrential rain and got back in totally drenched in 5.12

Was thinking that Craig might be back, but couldn't see him, and it was a bit of an ask, so stuck my bike on the back of the car and settled down on a chair near the door with a beer to wait.

Got a text saying he was 20 miles away, would be about an hour.

Happy days.

An hour later the fone started ringing, he'd had some issues with his rear tyre and was now walking in the last 5 miles.

Then he apparently got some help and got riding again.

3 inner tubes and 1 bike marshal later he finished riding the last 15 miles and came in just over 3 hours after me.

I was still soaking wet, and cold as I hadn't been able to change.

But the beer was free.

Could barely walk Sunday evening as everything had stiffened right up, but was fine Monday morning.

Even cycled in to work today.
JoddyBear

Re: Exmoor Beast

Postby kfjatek » 23 Oct 2013 16:27

Well done. Free beer??? You certainly kept that to yourself, otherwise you would have had an invasion of BCTTTites on your lovely neighbourhood!

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Tritans » 23 Oct 2013 16:48

That sounds pretty mixed, hills, rain, wind...... Free beer :shock:

Good going.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Oct 2013 19:10

Well done.

Sausage roll too!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby King Sad » 23 Oct 2013 19:32

Well done :D

Nice report, pity about Craig but got there in the end - good man.

Sausage rolls and beer - happy days :D and in the bag you also got soreen a nana and a load of portaloos :o Must have been a hell of a bag :lol:
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 11 Nov 2013 14:17

Well done Jody. Sounds like one hell of a sportive, and after our Exmoor training weekend I realise how horrid those cold wet hills of yours can be.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby gingertri » 17 Nov 2013 19:00

well done mate! did you wear out your cleats on the hills?
gingertri

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Race Reports