Southwell Sprint - smoke free zone

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Southwell Sprint - smoke free zone

Postby Jimba » 23 Sep 2013 14:24

Where: SouthwellLeisure Centre
When: 22 Sept 2013
Organiser: One Step Beyond
Course details: Based at Southwell leisure centre, pool swim, undulating out and back bike course, undulating 2 lap run
Distance(s): 400m (pool) swim; 17.6 km bike; 5km run
Marshalling: Traffic control at bike exit, marshals in transition, at junctions and at other points along course
Facilities: Leisure centre facilities, free parking, toilets, massage, trade stands
Technical: Chip timing
Freebies: T shirt
Cost: £35 with BTF licence

So penultimate event of the season and 8th time I have done this one. I last did it in 2010 where i set my PB of 1.06.57. This is the first race since giving up the fags 20 days ago so hoping for a performance boost from that.

I was doing it with a mate who was doing his first (well aside from one 20 yrs ago) and as he was unsure of his swim time we put slow times in (10.45 for me) which was potentially going to be a problem as the lanes are very narrow at Southwell.

Before i go on i must remember to say that i registered him for it. Now on the registration form there is a box saying "Interesting fact about yourself". I initially put in his form "I have three testicles" but then decided that the announcer may not mention that when he crosses the line, so changed it to "I have three nipples". Now i did tell my mate this just as we were racking the bikes so if the announcer said anything he knew what it was about. Apparently when he set off on his run the announcer said "And starting the run is number XX, who has three nipples, come on Scaramanga!". He then made a further reference to Scaramanga when he crossed the line and the nice lady taking his timing chip off asked to look at his extra nipple. Anyway i digress.

Swim was ok blocked by slower swimmers a few times (not often i say that), my garmin recorded a 9.25 swim which for me was a pb (i think) so pleased with that. Quite a long run to transition reasonably quick getting gear on and longish run to bike out. Clipped in and straight into the first hill. I always recall the course as being flat, its not. That first hill seems to drag on and on. Over the brow and into aero tuck. Since the Vit i have made the position much more aggressive, probably got the front end 6cm lower. Not really tested the new position out other than a quick 5minute ride. Now handling seemed to be ok, position reasonably comfortable, but the only issue was my neck was aching from looking up. Got tot he halfway turnaround about a minute down on target, put in full effort coming back, wasnt saving anything for the run, I wanted a fast bike split. Up and over the last hill, feet out of shoes ready for T2, approached right turn a bit fast and back wheel locked up for a good distance as i skidded into the turn. Bike split 31.40 (previous best on this course 32.24) so please with that. Quick T2 and out onto the run.

The run at Southwell is 2 laps with the first 6/650m of each up a steep hill. This was tough. By the top of the hill legs were working again and started picking pace up. Up the start of the second lap saw KS on his way to transition high fived and he cheered me on - nice to see you again John, sorry i didnt see you after that. I knew i was at least a minute off my target time so really put the effort in to try and claw it back, but it is quite tough on that course because of the hill. Anyway motoring at turnround and all the way back. Finished the run in 20.34, about a minute down on my PB on the course.

Overall 111th out of 551 starters.
8th in AG, not sure out of how many.

Positives
PB on the course by over 2 minutes
Swim, (especially as i would have been quicker with clearer water)
Bike - finally starting to get results with TT bike

Negatives
Bit disappointed on the anticipated Smoke Free Turbo Boost that didn't materialise, had hoped for another minute or two from that.

Met Seasider after the finish, nice to meet you Gav, another face to a BCTTT name I can now put, hope your mate did alright.

Last race of the season next Sunday (now thats why I can't do Wasdale!).
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Southwell Sprint - smoke free zone

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Sep 2013 14:31

Jimba wrote:Swim was ok blocked by slower swimmers a few times

Oh how times change.

Really interested to see how you get on next year, especially without the fags.

2 mins is quite a big percentage though.

Nicely done. And consolidating a position at top of the pack side of the field.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Seasider71 » 23 Sep 2013 15:19

Good to meet you too, it was a great day for it, and a good result for you - my friend did 1hr 19mins (had a mechanical on the bike) but loved every minute of it - think he has the bug now, the poor soul :D
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby jonathon.e » 23 Sep 2013 15:44

Well done, excellent time.
Back in the Biology class, I seem to remember that it takes about six months to start to reap the benefits from quitting smoking, so early days yet.

Where are we next week then?, if not Wasdale or washing your hair?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jimba » 23 Sep 2013 16:08

Back to Roade for the second time next week for another pool sprint. I then need to take stock and decide next year's goals. I think you are right about time for the lungs to start clearing but I had hoped for some short term bonus.

I have only ever done one Oly so I might target some of them next year, recommendations?
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 23 Sep 2013 17:26

Ripon Olympic, a number of the club have done this.

Allerthorpe Standard, come and join the dinosaurs, pancake flat course, total evation climbed in 40k approx 60ft.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Latinobeat » 23 Sep 2013 18:01

Good work Jimba, from experience it will take a while to see the benefit of non-smoking. it kind of sneaks up on you although taste improved pretty quickly if i recall.
Love the Scaramanga incident, brilliant.
Good luck for sunday, I'm at Roade too, already steeling myself for the battle that is the swim. :D
I'd go with the alloys and lose a few pounds!
Latinobeat
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 23 Sep 2013 21:49

Great work Jimba. A 2 minute PB is great! Sounds like some of the turbo boost is coming out. Great gain on the swim, 1 minute is a superb improvement.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby King Sad » 24 Sep 2013 07:53

Jim well done :D Great to have seen you in action, timed that just right :D

Next season you will be a tar free powerhouse and storming up those AG rankings, good luck and don't waiver :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 24 Sep 2013 17:24

Well done Jimba. 2 mins sounds like a great improvement to me, especially given the distance. Will be great to see what difference giving up smoking makes after the lungs have recovered more.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Return to Race Reports