Weight loss and run times

General chat and questions go here

Weight loss and run times

Postby TRIumphant » 18 Jan 2010 12:28

Found this useful calculator. Input current race times and weight, and it'll tell you how fast you should be able to run if you lost a bit of weight, and likewise of you gained some. Just focuses the mind

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/w ... =Calculate
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Weight loss and run times

Postby Jack Hughes » 18 Jan 2010 12:32

Ah! My favourite site for running formulae.

You have to take the weight loss stuff with a big pinch of salt... it is really just showing the difference that power to weight ratio makes i.e. it is not real world at all... but it certainly brings home the reason why the best runners are lean skinny little things.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby garyroberts » 18 Jan 2010 15:01

I am fat! Therefore I am slow :cry: :cry:

I will be thin. Therefore I will be fast :D :D
Swim like a brick, cycle like a sail, run like constipation
garyroberts
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby md6 » 18 Jan 2010 15:08

this seems a little odd - it seems to think that i will be 1minute faster over a half marathon for each kg i loose...not so sure, when i ran my last half mara i weighed more than the time before but was 4 mins faster...and the extra weight was a fat, and i had a hangover. Maybe it is telling me that for the same level of fitness etc i 'would' be faster by 1 min per kg lighter...i think i should out the cake back down and go get a salad :cry:
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Bendy Ben » 18 Jan 2010 15:19

Er I hate to piss on your party lads but I'm thin Im so slow it looks like I'm going backwards. I think that's all rubbish personally . Irrespective of weight, you train you get faster. You dont and you won't. It's surely that simple.

Is it not?
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby malteser » 18 Jan 2010 15:28

I would guess it depends on the weight differential.

If you're already at a fighting fit weight (irrespective of the actual level of fitness) its going to be all about the training.

If you're 10-20kgs overweight then the weight loss should have a fairly dramatic effect on the run times even if you keep your training at a constant level. Shifting 5-10 kgs for me would make a difference because I'd be expending less energy carrying around my tubby figure at a set speed, allowing for that energy to be used in propulsion. Obviously that alone won't help. I'm not just going to have liposuction on one day and with no training expect to completely overhaul my 10k time once recovered.
malteser
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Return to General Discussion