Turbo Tyre

General chat and questions go here

Turbo Tyre

Postby malteser » 17 Jan 2010 18:49

What tyres do you guys use on the turbo. I bought a Vittoria Zafiro Pro Tyre after my usual tyres started shedding quite badly.

I'm having exactly the same problem now. Not huge resistance and top middle ring gears and the tyre is just shedding rubber again!!! I don't know why its doing it ... does anyone else have this problem? Is it just a shite tyre?!

what do u guys use on the turbo? do your tyres shed too?

WAT isn't too pleased at the trail of red rubber left behind and around the turbo
malteser
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Re: Turbo Tyre

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 17 Jan 2010 19:06

I'm using an old Continental gatorskin at the moment that has some sidewall damage (still has lots of tread after 1200km, but don't want to risk it on the road) on a turbo dedicated wheel. But I used this tyre on my main wheel before I got a second one, no signs of shredding at all after sessions. If I have to replace it i'll get a turbo specific one though as they are menat to be more durable (and quieter?).
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby chris.dearing » 17 Jan 2010 19:43

I use a Continental turbo tyre - this one

It's much better than normal tyres, doesn't get warm and doesnt make as much noise.
The first time I put it on it was a nightmare but now it's stretched a bit it's fine. I don't have a dedicated turbo wheel and currently swap it over once a week for a weekend ride.
chris.dearing
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby CCS » 18 Jan 2010 12:09

I had exactly the same problem using the Vittoria turbo tyre - little bits of red rubber scattered all around the turbo, which amounted to quite an alarming volume when I swept them up - and this would happen even after short sessions.
I have since switched over to the Continental turbo tyre, and touch wood, haven't had the same problem so far. On the basis of this very unscientific evaluation, I have therefore concluded that the Vittoria is just crap!
I would agree that the Continental tyre was a pig to put on though!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby james » 18 Jan 2010 12:32

I use my normal road commuting tyre, Continental GatorSkin, and haven't had any issues with it. I've read somewhere that if the pressure is a tad low that can cause excess wear with the turbo, not sure if that is true or not though.
james
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby malteser » 18 Jan 2010 12:57

hmm, was wondering whether a slightly low tyre could affect it ... so will make sure I pump it up before I use it again and see what happens then ... in the meantime, I'll hunt for a Continental indoor tyre and see what happens
malteser
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Jack Hughes » 18 Jan 2010 13:06

Because of the wheel is clamped firmly into the Turbo, there is more tyre surface in contact. Because the turbo is very smooth, there is more surface area of the turbo in contact. Because of the breaking effect of the turbo, there is much more heat generated. So your tyre will be much warmer, and wear will be over a wider cross section. This accelerates usage.

A turbo is a great way of using up old tyres.. It isn't as scary when you get a puncture because the bike is still held firmly in position.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Return to General Discussion