the future of the bcttt

Someone done a good job? Deserving of a big hand on the BCTTT forum? Tell all here….

the future of the bcttt

Postby ris » 03 May 2014 20:42

today i went to a kids tri event in calne, organised by events logic (who run the grown up white horse tri event that is happening tomorrow). a friend of mine's son was really interested in doing a tri because some idiot he knows through his parents does them.

a big bunch of us went, with similar aged kids, younger siblings all in tow, and most of them taking part in the 1 mile fun run (with chip timing and race numbers! awesome!). in this group included my dear vee.

they all finished the race, big smiles and medals proudly worn and showed off. running isn't really vee's forte, but she stuck at it and i was so proud of her. *

the lad doing the tristart race had a tough start - they told him he couldn't do backstroke and he's only swum 15-20 of crawl before. he finished the 50 a little behind the others, but stuck to it through a fiddly transition (t-shirt over wet body is hard work) and got out on the bike (his best discipline). he romped through the bike and while flagging a bit on the run he finished with a big smile.

he promised he'd never do anything that stupid ever again, before quickly going on to talk about what he would change at his next tri.

the bcttt future is there to see - the pleasure all in the taking part. well done to all of them - top kids.

she was dfl. i think i shed a tiny tear of joy! very proud she did it and didn't give up
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Re: the future of the bcttt

Postby jonathon.e » 03 May 2014 20:46

That is wonderful, great that the youngsters get to race like their parents.
Congratulations to your young'un :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby kfjatek » 03 May 2014 20:57

Fantastic. :-)

This year for the first time we included a Junior race in the Kingfisher Aquathlon. This may sound a bit Kevyish, but watching the kids S B R, cross the finish line and proudly pose to photos with their medals and smiles on their faces was simply phenomenal.

OK, that sounded WAAAAAAY Kevyish. But you get my drift. ;-)

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Worrying Will » 03 May 2014 22:02

Cracking. Cant wait till mine do theres in july5

written using my bestist willglish
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby King Sad » 04 May 2014 13:20

Well done all :D

I help out with the Lincoln Tri Duathlon in April (which has Tristart and Junior events) and the Tristart/Junior triathlon in September. The flying mounts and dismounts of some are incredible along with their racing and in the Tristarts their enthusiasm is infectious, what is marked is that the girls are absolutely determined not to be beaten by the boys and really throw themselves into it with gusto.

Like Kwerty I feel obliged to put the usual disclaimers in but then shame on 'society' that we feel we have to do so.
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby didds » 04 May 2014 23:01

well done all Ris - Luke works bloody hard at really BRINGING tri to our neck of the woods.

I noted today the bike route is no longer beckhampton and back!

didds
Last edited by didds on 05 May 2014 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Bopomofo » 04 May 2014 23:33

This is great! I love the kids events: they all try so damned hard and whatever sport they stick with it is the start of at at least showing them that doing physical exercise is 'normal'.

I really hope Vetty enjoyed it and didn't notice or get discouraged by her DFL. All she needs to know is how much fun the whole thing was. Good on your friends' lad for having a go at the junior tri, too. Just remind him that he can now and forever boast to his friends "Triathlon? Yeah, I've done one of them." 8-) 8-) 8-)

My kids did a tri when they were about 7 and 9. Both took it quite seriously, gave it their all and said "That was too hard" and "I didn't like it, I don't want to do it again" then after about 10 minutes they were jabbering away about how much fun it was and can they do another one. :lol: :lol: :lol: A bit like us lot, really. :lol: :lol:

I didn't do Eastleigh 10k this year due to a cold, but when I do it's always great to see the kids go off for the 2k event beforehand. When mine were smaller we'd go for the 2k - our kids' school would always manage to field about 150 runners out of the 500 total, so all the parents were there to support - then while the kids went off to get a packed brunch from the car I'd be doing the 10k and they could cheer me home for my race.

I've also got a new enjoyment from sport from my son getting into swimming. We're not competing for county times or national standards or whatever... he's currently just enjoying it and gaining a massive amount of self-confidence - and body confidence - from being in the top squad and medalling at local events. And I'm helping out poolside, got my Timing Official certificate and will shortly be doing the Level 1 Judge certificate.

So much bad press for kids these days... they're all hoody wearing drop-outs who have no drive or ambition, apparently. Bollocks.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ris » 05 May 2014 10:18

Didds - I didn't spot the route had changed - I'll have to take a look at the new one. I quite liked the old one as it was quite tough (offered something to the climbing types). I really wanted to do the race again this year but taking my return to running as sensibly as I can.

Vee seems pretty chuffed with herself, she had a good weekend of 'sport' with her badge 6 at gymnastics and some brilliant progress in the pool with me on Sunday. Good kid :)

My friend's lad is keen to do another but I think would like some 'proper' kit, so if anyone has any bike/tri stuff for an 8yo knocking about please let me know!

sent via the bopomatic
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 06 May 2014 14:12

I love seeing and hearing about kids doing sporty stuff and loving it. I'd love to take my niece and nephew to some events when they're older. Hoping to be a good (if slightly crazy!) role model for them :-)

Well done to Vee and your friend's boy, Ris. And good to hear the swimming is progressing and she's still going.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Britspin » 16 May 2014 19:20

..and all this is why I much prefer coaching the youmg 'uns. So much enthusiasm. As is usual we ran a camp at easter, slightly iffy weather in the week & an unholy downpour all Friday, which is race day. dis anyone of our crew want the race put off? No chance.
We ran to two age groups concurrently (good job lady Britspin has 1) a logical brain, 2) can count.) The parents were not overly happy with the rain, but marshalled & encouraged.
One lad had a major bike fail (rear bearings shot to pieces, 2 week old Halfrauds bike), many tears but convinced him he could do the run sections (thi was a duathlon I hasten to add)which he did. Then apparently once his bike was fixed went back to the course & did the race with his mum & dad timing him, sent me his time last week (He would possibly have won).
now thats dedication..he has a really good running style as well, only 8 years old.
now I have to beg & cajole (& bully) my superiors to allow me to do similar camps at summer, it is always a battle, never a given.
Britspin
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Return to Slap On The Back From The BCTTT