MTB shoes, pedals & cleats

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: MTB shoes, pedals & cleats

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 29 Sep 2013 17:09

Pedals will come with cleats!
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Bendy Ben » 29 Sep 2013 17:23

Cheers Jibbster
Bendy Ben

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Sep 2013 18:02

Why didn't you buy some when you got the bike?

Either go with flats (useful for downhill stuff only), or SPD if you want to be clipped in. There are some othe varieties, but SPD is the dominant one.

The clips are recessed into the shoe, so you can walk and run in them and not destroy the cleats or the floor.

They make for a good touring shoe, as well as for MTB.

One of the things I was interested in seeing at the MTB race was how many were clipped in, and how many had flats.

Probably about 75% clipped in, 25% flat. And in terms of finishing position, it was just about all the clipped in before any flats.

I read a paper a while back which looked at incident rates - injuries were higher for people with flat pedals. But this may have been because these were mainly the less experienced riders, rather than being safer.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Kevy427 » 29 Sep 2013 18:14

How about these Eggbeaters from Crank Brothers? No danger of mud getting compacted in these. And there are some natty colours available. And there's an expensive option to satisfy Bendy's inability to buy anything that may be associated with common people
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 29 Sep 2013 18:26

Jack Hughes wrote:One of the things I was interested in seeing at the MTB race was how many were clipped in, and how many had flats.

Probably about 75% clipped in, 25% flat. And in terms of finishing position, it was just about all the clipped in before any flats.

I read a paper a while back which looked at incident rates - injuries were higher for people with flat pedals. But this may have been because these were mainly the less experienced riders, rather than being safer.

I looked at getting SPD one side, flat the other when I bought the bike. Jay told me to just MTFU and just get the double sided SPDs :lol:
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Bendy Ben » 29 Sep 2013 18:45

Why didn't you buy some when you got the bike?

Cos I literally walked into Bridgtown, grabbed Jay, said hi to Mike and he wheeled the bike out to the car.

I actually and this is crazy - forgot and simply assumed I would use my spare SPD SL pedals.

That and I was under direct instructions to be "2 mins and don't buy anything"

WAT
Mother in law
And both kids in the car waiting for me
Bendy Ben

Previous

Return to Technical FAQ