Twisted spoke on my Mavics

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Twisted spoke on my Mavics

Postby Bopomofo » 16 Jul 2013 15:54

I was giving my Mavic Cosmic Carboners* a clean last night - including taking the cassette off and completely degreasing it, almost as though they were about to get fitted to something new and monstrously beautiful.... err... anyway...

I noticed that one of the spokes on the rear wheel, non-drive side is somehow rotated 90 degrees. It is touching against the carbon fairing a bit but not badly.

But how could/would that happen? Is it safe to just get some pliers and twist it straight? It has seemingly rotated at both ends so is completely sideways rather than twisted. :? Any ideas? Am I about to have a snapped spoke?

It might help if I post a pic when I get back to Bopo Towers.

*see if Kevy spots that.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Twisted spoke on my Mavics

Postby Kevy427 » 16 Jul 2013 16:06

Bopomofo wrote:Carboners

Spots what?

My suggestion is to buy a new bike...oh, you've done that already as a precaution for such an instance. New wheels instead?

And to point you in the right direction - others with the same issue
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby JoddyBear » 16 Jul 2013 16:51

hmmmm, may i be so presumptious as to suggest taking said wheel with you when you go to collect the non existent new steed and asking the guru himself for the necessary advice?

I mean you haven't even spent any money there yet this year so a new spoke and wheel service wouldn't break the bank would it?
JoddyBear

Postby Jack Hughes » 16 Jul 2013 16:54

Is the wheel out of true?

Is the nipple* lose?

Is there play* in the spoke?

Might it have always been like it?

*Hello Kevy
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Bopomofo » 17 Jul 2013 09:25

Cheers Kev, the link to tritalk gave me the confidence to just get two pairs of pliers - one for each end of the spoke - and gently rotate the whole thing 90 back into position.

The cassette has been cleaned in degreaser in an ultrasonic bath and the wheels washed in soapy water, dried then polished with baby wipes. The now-shiny cassette has been refitted.

It's all very exciting. :D
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Technical FAQ