Vet Std ?

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Vet Std ?

Postby Tritans » 23 May 2013 13:48

On my shiny TT start sheet, appears a colomn titled Vet Std, underneath which appears a time.
What does it mean ?

Also of note number 59 Paul Cockbain qualifying time 4.21.23 (100 miles) age 72 !!!
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Re: Vet Std ?

Postby jonathon.e » 23 May 2013 13:56

Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Tritans » 23 May 2013 14:13

Thanks. But what does it actually mean. Eg mine is 4.51.24 for 100.

So is that the time that is "standard" for my age ? Ie go below it and I've done ok ?

Confucius
Tritans

Postby jonathon.e » 23 May 2013 15:01

http://www.vtta.org.uk/information/Perf ... Awards.php

That link may help or be as clear as mud

The 74 yr old has put on his entry form the time he has previously posted which is faster than the standard.
Where as you have yet to do one, so you just get the standard time, your aim is to beat that time, and as each year passes to go faster, so utilising the standard as an improvement. Each year the standard allows for a slight drop in speed, it is slightly different to standard TT where previous times are posted, you get handicapped and given + or - against the times, they make it too simple don't they, next year you get a slide rule, a set of logarithmic calculations and a general knowledge questionnaire to answer on the way round the TT course.

The alternative is to turn up, ride as fast as you can, and get the prize money, or is that just me :lol:
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 May 2013 15:06

It's an age grading type thing.

There will be a prize for the vet who exceeds their standard by the most time.

If you went 10 mind faster than your standard, the you would be +10. The person with the biggest plus wins.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Tritans » 23 May 2013 15:26

Thank you both. I get it now. Glad I'm not 72 !

Also.

Is this sheet graded in any way ? Fastest off last ? Is this decided by the time you submitted ?

Confucius
Tritans

Postby jonathon.e » 23 May 2013 15:32

I am sure Jack will be able to give a detailed reply, but basically in a TT the riders are seeded so the fastest riders do not start together.
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 May 2013 17:05

Tritans wrote:Thank you both. I get it now. Glad I'm not 72 !

Also.

Is this sheet graded in any way ? Fastest off last ? Is this decided by the time you submitted ?

It's graded (or seeded). The time you submitted is used.

It used to be the case that you also put the course and the winners time, so the field setter could make allowances for times done on good days on fast courses vs bad days on slow courses. It's been dumbed down a bit.

It is more complex that fastest last.

The idea is to set it in such a way that you minimise the likelihood of people passing, or when they pass, the speeds are very different, so there is minimal chance of drafting - ie you get overtaken/overtake rapidly. Flat course help to even speeds out (eliminate differences in power to weight).

Finally, it is set to reduce the amount of time that there are riders on the course.

So, people of the same speed are placed 10 minutes apart. So you are 24. People going at the same speed will be 14 and 34. So you should never see them or get tangled up with them.

Notice how there is no #1?

The fastest people are given numbers ending in 0.

topps is the fastests (he won the BBAR last year, with his 100 time set in this event). He is off at number 90. The next best is at 80 and so on down to 10. Then the next lot have numbers ending in 5.

The slowest riders have numbers ending in 9.

This means that 90 will be a lot faster than 89. So will catch him and pass him quickly.

The slowest rider in the field should be number 9.

The next slowest have numbers ending in 4.

You are 24. So 14, 89, 79, 69, 59, 49, 39, 29, 19 and 9 should be slower than you.

Sometimes 5 and 0s are treated the same though (ie gaps of 5 mins instead of 10).

But that is the basic idea.

It tends to work pretty well. You will be amazed at how lonely you ate, especially when compared with a tri.

You'll probably only get over taken by two or three people. You may catch #19. But that could be all you see all day.

There is a spreadsheet that you can download from the ctt these days. You put everyone in order, press a button, and it sets the field.

The first useful computer program I ever wrote was to set a TT field ;)

I've not checked the rules for nearly 40 years, but I doubt they have changed much.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Tritans » 23 May 2013 20:23

"Only overtaken by 2 or 3 people" you are more optimistic than me. I've had another change of strategy. Ride to HR of about 155 (threshold 150) for first 50, see how I feel after that, and adjust accordingly, hopefully upwards.

Thankyou both for such a detailed reply.

Confucius
Tritans

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 May 2013 20:41

The laps might make a difference. But the way the field is Layed out minimises things.

You should be caught by 25, 30 and possiby other 40, or 35.

Scratch that. I'm thinking of a 10 or a 25. It is a 100 after all....

Anyway, it won't be as many as you think.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Return to Technical FAQ