Good bike oil/ cleaning type stuff

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: Good bike oil/ cleaning type stuff

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 11 May 2013 10:29

tesseract wrote:I should probably have added what works quickest and easiest

Re oil the chain after each ride. As I said above, fresh oil is great at cleaning dirty oil off if you don't let it get too bad.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby tesseract » 10 Jun 2013 22:30

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:
tesseract wrote:I should probably have added what works quickest and easiest

Re oil the chain after each ride. As I said above, fresh oil is great at cleaning dirty oil off if you don't let it get too bad.
So what's a good oil? Ribble have a sale on cleaning stuff just now, the Finish Line Ceramic Wax sounds good, but I would have thought wax is too thick for a chain? It should be a light oil shouldn't it? like good old 3in1?
tesseract

Postby gingertri » 17 Jun 2013 20:06

Kevy427 wrote:Muc Off or Autoglym Car shampoo for the frame/wheels
For the chain I use Zebra Jism (stop sniggering at the back) to degrease, but also give it a blast with Novaclean (an aerosol degreaser and is surprising how much more shit this blasts from the chain)
I also use GT85 to lubricate moving parts but have been trying Teflube which is a dry lubricant with Teflon to reduce friction

CCS just prays for rain so she can leave the bike out in it for a quick rinse

- Kev you had a spelling mistake!

Didnt realise it would replace your original reply - my bad!
gingertri

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 18 Jun 2013 20:24

tesseract wrote:So what's a good oil? Ribble have a sale on cleaning stuff just now, the Finish Line Ceramic Wax sounds good, but I would have thought wax is too thick for a chain? It should be a light oil shouldn't it? like good old 3in1?

White Lightning Epic Ride is my favourite. Stays the cleanest, runs the smoothest, lowest maintenance, and easy to apply of all the lubes I've tried.
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Bendy Ben » 19 Jun 2013 14:33

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:
Chain (after wet ride) - Ultrasonic bath of: neat Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for 30 minutes, scrub links, fresh Swarfega Oil & Grease remover for 5 minutes, water for 5 minutes, isopropanol for 5 minutes, clean isopropanol for 5 minutes.

Blimey. Wish I had half of the time on my hands you have on yours buddy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just seen this. Jibby - how often do you do that ? You need a GF or another hobby ;)
Bendy Ben

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 19 Jun 2013 20:04

Bendy Ben wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just seen this. Jibby - how often do you do that ? You need a GF or another hobby ;)

Once a month maybe. More often in winter. A GF would be handy, she can clean the chain while I spend more time polishing the bike frame then :lol:
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Bendy Ben » 19 Jun 2013 20:14

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bendy Ben

Postby gingertri » 23 Jun 2013 18:21

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:
Bendy Ben wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Once a month maybe. More often in winter. A GF would be handy, she can clean the chain while I spend more time polishing the bike frame then :lol:

but you're so OCD about bike cleaning you'd need a female clone of yourself! maybe whilst you clean she can make pie?
gingertri

Previous

Return to Technical FAQ