Chainrings...

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Chainrings...

Postby Woody » 27 Mar 2013 13:47

OK, long cobbled story short....I'm thinking of chainrings....

at the moment I have 53/39 and I just wondered what the range of change rings I could change to without messing about with chains/derailers etc? (I *think* changing can mean changing derailers or chain length?)

or alternatively, changing cassettes to give me a bit more/less dependent on where/what I'm riding? It's not a permanent thing but rather I'm thinking about adaptability dependent on what I'm riding? Ideally, I need 2 bikes but that's just not and option so a cheaper option is to explore the range of changes I can make.

Jon e? Jack?
Woody
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Re: Chainrings...

Postby Ewan » 27 Mar 2013 13:56

just get a compact. Should be OK with your existing derailleur.

The RD will take most of the slack out of the chain, but if it's still a bit loose then just pop a couple of links out.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby andyb99 » 27 Mar 2013 14:02

a compact will give you easier hills but you might run out of gears when hammering it if you regularly use top gear!!! you can get a compact 'small chainring' that will replace your 34....it will have 30....but an alternative is going to a 28 on the cassette (if you have 25) which will give you the same ratio.....if your just looking to give yourself an easier run up hills then this is the easiest option by far and you can swap it out quickly for conditions you're riding....gives you better options.

look to change the cassette first if you have some room to do that (if your already running say 11-28 then you're much more limited)..its much easier for the same gains
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Ewan » 27 Mar 2013 14:27

Yes but who on here is ACTUALLY under-geared on a compact.

Riding 53x11 with a cadence of 100rpm will give you a speed of 60kmph (assuming 700X23 tyres)
Riding 50x11 with a cadence of 100rpm will give you a speed of 57kmph (assuming 700X23 tyres)

How many riders on here ever get up to 60kmph let alone maintain it? Even descending, you'd be better off assuming an aero tuck at those speeds than keeping pedalling. If you are REALLY the sort that does need to keep pedalling then riding c.65kmph@115rpm (50x11, 700x23tyres) should be well within your capabilities, and if it's not then you need to be looking to your supplesse rather than your equipment.

"Conventional" doubles (53/NN) are built for the pros and only sold to the proles because they want to look like their idols and don't know any better. Compact should be the only choice for 99% of people beyond the pro peloton, and even the pros aren't afraid to go there when the road heads up.
Ewan

Postby andyb99 » 27 Mar 2013 14:44

Ewan wrote:Yes but who on here is ACTUALLY under-geared on a compact.

certainly not me!!! i run compact!!!

and i agree with you.

my point was that changing the cassette for easier gears up hill (and i dont know what cassete he's running) is an easier option than changing the chainrings
andyb99

Postby jonathon.e » 27 Mar 2013 14:49

Nice to be called a " prole ", most kind

Choose the range of gearing that suits the majority of your rides, not the gearing for the one of extreme ride.

Look at your cadence, what rides you do, and the variation with standard/ compact and rear cassette that they give.

I don't have any idols, and there are no heroes anymore, just people who obey orders.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Woody » 27 Mar 2013 15:02

Ewan wrote: just pop a couple of links out.

:lol: oh you say that like I know what the f*ck I'm doing! :lol:

so I can change cassette or chainring then? I'm assuming if I change the cassette then I can avoid any issues with the front derailer needing to be adjusted?
Woody
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby andyb99 » 27 Mar 2013 15:10

what cassette are you running Mick??

if you went from a double to a compact...you would only have to lower the DR....and adjust the cable cause it would be loose....but its a simple job.

but much simpler to change the cassette if you have room!!!

Woody wrote:
:lol: oh you say that like I know what the f*ck I'm doing! :lol:

few weeks left for this yet Mick...money well spent obviously
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8570
andyb99

Postby Ewan » 27 Mar 2013 16:29

Woody wrote:
so I can change cassette or chainring then? I'm assuming if I change the cassette then I can avoid any issues with the front derailer needing to be adjusted?

Unless you go for a monster cassette like those SRAM Apex beasts seen in the giro last year... in which case you'll need a long cage RD*. :-) :-)

What group set are you riding and what rear cassette?

*in most cases you'll be fine :-)
Ewan

Postby Jack Hughes » 27 Mar 2013 18:24

Why not just push your bike up the hill?

Or carry it.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Next

Return to Technical FAQ