Chainrings...

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: Chainrings...

Postby tesseract » 29 Mar 2013 01:09

Now that's what I'm talking about, and it's carbon
tesseract

Postby combatdwarf » 10 May 2013 00:59

I have watch this thread but now I have to put in....I am a rubbish climber....genetics/rugby and beer have ensured that...however now I choose flatter courses (ie not Wimblebitch) I have found that going to a 54/40 have made big differences to my times...I now do a 70.3 bike in around 2:40 whereas on a compact I was struggling to come in before 3hrs...

So whilst I agree on paper a compact sounds fine at my lower cadence of 80 a bigger gear works... :D
Husband • Father • Ironman • My triathlon journey from the rugby front row to age group ironman • http://iaindoestriathlon.blogspot.com/
Injured in 2014 so racing for FRANK water at the Bridge to Bridge • http://www.justgiving.com/iaindoesb2b
combatdwarf

Postby King Sad » 10 May 2013 06:11

But then again physiology also comes into play, if you have knackered knees pulling a 54 is not an option, if you are able to maintain a 53/11 throughput a race great, if however you are using 53/12 or 54/12 for most of the race but could handle a 50/11 a 50/11 is a bigger gear.
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby tesseract » 11 May 2013 08:52

King Sad wrote:But then again physiology also comes into play, if you have knackered knees pulling a 54 is not an option, if you are able to maintain a 53/11 throughput a race great, if however you are using 53/12 or 54/12 for most of the race but could handle a 50/11 a 50/11 is a bigger gear.

But isn't the power output a factor as well, or is that what you're saying? ie between 53/12 and 50/11 is there a difference in required power to hit the same speed, assuming same cadence?

...and if you can handle 50/11, what's the difference with 53/11? again in terms of power required for the same speed.

I'm not clear how it all fits together between power, cadence and gearing, or I'll re-phrase that - I'm not clear if different gearing actually reduces the power required to hit a speed?
tesseract

Postby Bopomofo » 11 May 2013 09:20

Power is torque multiplied by revs.

Or... how hard you stamp on the pedals multiplied by how often you do it. Simples.

To travel at x kph will take the same power* regardless of gear. In a low gear you'll be spinning away and pressing softly on the pedals. In a big gear you'll be spinning slowly and mashing the pedals hard.

*At extremes, ie really high or really low gears this isn't true, for 'biology' reasons. Spinning at 120rpm will knacker most people almost regardless of how much force is required: your muscles are moving very quickly. Also, most of us have shit technique so even free spinning wastes energy. Similarly, mashing away at 40rpm would probably be asking too much of your muscles.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Previous

Return to Technical FAQ