Flying with a bike - on the cheap

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: Flying with a bike - on the cheap

Postby Jack Hughes » 13 Mar 2013 00:11

Ride it to Portugal.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Tritans » 13 Mar 2013 14:06

Kevy427 wrote:Simply wheel it through Customs and onto the plane then pop it into one of the overhead lockers

:lol:

tbh would take up less room than a lot of poeples "hand luggage"
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Bendy Ben » 13 Mar 2013 17:12

Bike on train - whoosh - in Portugal overnight ( 1 bedroom ex sleeper) then ride to your holiday mansion
Simples
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby S11 » 13 Mar 2013 22:19

CCS wrote:Ok, so I know there are a number of threads out there about bike boxes etc - but any top tips for travelling by air with a bike on the cheap (cheap padded bag?)
Just planning ahead for the summer, when my oldest road bike is planning on making the move to Portugal for its retirement years, and wanted suggestions to get it there. Given that the bike only cost £475 about 4 years ago, it is probably worth about 50p now, so don't want to spend a huge amount, but would like to get it there so it is still useable - and need to juggle the logistics of also transporting the rest of the family / stuff for a week's holiday etc. Can't entirely remember who we are flying with - probably BA or TAP.
Also, can't justify spending much, as it's unlikely I will ever get much opportunity for international travel with a bike...complex exit pass required for that sort of thing...
Any top tips?

BA will let you take it as partvof your luggage allowance up to 23kg. I use BA simply becsuse they are bike friendly. Any other luggsge like clothes gets stuffed into a TYR transition bag and goes as part if my hand luggsge. There are no extra charges with BA and you dont need to tell them either.....unlike KLM.....b@st@rds
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Previous

Return to Technical FAQ