TT bike vs. road bike

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

TT bike vs. road bike

Postby CCS » 11 Feb 2013 09:53

So... waiting for my morning dose of caffeine to kick in before I can possibly do any productive work, and pondering....
Do use different muscles in your legs when riding a TT bike vs. a road bike?
My quads are absolutely killing me today after a gentle 30 mins turbo on the TT yesterday. I know I am not fit, but the same legs can happily do 4 hours riding in the Surrey hills and feel nothing after.
Just wondering... any thoughts (other than stop pondering and actually do some training) ?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: TT bike vs. road bike

Postby Jack Hughes » 11 Feb 2013 10:17

Quick possibly. Certainly a different loading pattern between the two - the position is quite different. And your TT position isn't optimised (yet).

The differences in position might be subtle. But when you do several thousand repetitions....
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby ris » 11 Feb 2013 10:44

i think in principle the tt is using subtly different muscles - the more forward position means that you are pushing 'back' a bit more that you do on a road bike. some of it might also be adjusting to the new position, making the muscles work and holding yourself in a different way.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby jonathon.e » 11 Feb 2013 13:29

Pondering is good, really good, as Jack and Ris have said, just slight differences, also the possibility of slightly tensing the body, new bike, different position, causing you to tense and shorten the muscles, the more aggressive position causes the inside of my quads to feel it more than the road bike, but over time adaption will take place.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby scibby » 11 Feb 2013 13:52

It's a hot TT bike so you just had to give that extra 10%...
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby TRIumphant » 11 Feb 2013 18:44

At least it proves you need to train what you race. No good training in a road bike then getting the TT out for a race, and then adapting your musckes
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Bopomofo » 11 Feb 2013 22:05

Oh god... You've got a TT bike. :shock:

OK, Clare, here we go: Different ways to sit on a bike are

a) normal road bike, great for torque on the bars, good for streamlining on the drops, good control in the pack (brake levers accessible etc). A great compromise of aero + ultimate power
b) Time trial position - max power with aero to give extra speed.
c) Traithlon position - Like TT position but with hip opened up even more, longer position, less power but still aero, leaves your legs better able to cope with the run.

Personally, I'm not sure I fully believe in c) but tbh I'm probably not good enough to see the difference anyway.

And TRIumphant is utterly correct. Get the miles in on EXACTLY what you are racing. Get out there on the TT bike. If you can do the course beforehand then get your race wheel on too. Get ready for how it feels on race day.

Nail it, CCS!
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby CCS » 11 Feb 2013 22:45

Bopomofo wrote:Get out there on the TT bike.

You must be joking... it's cold and wet out there, and the bike is soooo pristine... had it for a week of just looking at it before I even dared sit on it for more than a second!! :lol:
Another spin tonight to ease out the legs - put the saddle up a bit, which feels a bit better, but booked in for fit, so that should sort out position.
Suddenly realise that another factor in the aching legs might be those squats I did yesterday...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby TRIumphant » 12 Feb 2013 07:56

CCS, I know where you're coming from. Picked up a new TT on the weekend, desperate to get out on it, but weathers not suitable, so been on the rollers to start the adaptation process.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant

Postby King Sad » 12 Feb 2013 10:46

Garside study; a tri specific geometry imposes less stress on the hamstrings so that on the transition to run there is an advantage to the triathlete riding such as bike over the first 5km compared with the rider of a road bike.

Dan Empfield http://www.Slowtwitch.com
“The reason is that the forward position places the rider over the cranks further and puts him/her in an aerodynamically sleek position. The position also saves key muscles for running. Road bike seat tube geometry is geared toward making efficient use of all leg muscles, especially the hamstrings, which is an important muscle to save for the run. Tri-geometry makes more use of the quads to generate power.”
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad

Return to Technical FAQ