Iron Distance Kit

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Re: Iron Distance Kit

Postby fletch » 08 Mar 2013 03:16

ok... thought this through some more. i'm thinking of the following combinations:

Swim - Tri shorts and wetsuit
Bike - Tri shorts, bib shorts and jersey
Run - Tri shorts and running singlet

Don't see the need for the tri top if it's only going to ride up and become a very unflattering boob tube and no need to wear it in the swim.

Am I missing anything obvious here?
fletch
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby TRIumphant » 08 Mar 2013 08:05

Only issue I can see us if you remove the top of your wetsuit for the run to T1 then you would be bare chested, so you might want to check the rules on that, for BTF races its against the rules, but I'm not sure for WTC races
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby fletch » 08 Mar 2013 08:50

TRIumphant wrote:Only issue I can see us if you remove the top of your wetsuit for the run to T1 then you would be bare chested, so you might want to check the rules on that, for BTF races its against the rules, but I'm not sure for WTC races

oh yes! thanks, well spotted, will look up rules tonight, but I think you're right!

Sent from my GT-I9100 Using ForumTouch for Android
fletch

Postby TRIumphant » 08 Mar 2013 09:07

I've always used s Tri top in the swim, kept it on for the bike, as a base later, then either ran in it, or changed it in T2, depending on weather and CBA
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby md6 » 19 Mar 2013 16:25

Seasider71 wrote:I did it in the one piece LD Trisuit, just changed my socks between bike and run, was more than comfortable.

I forgot to change my socks but otherwise ditto...oh and it was the first time i'd ever worn it...and had only checked it fit me the day before... :oops:
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby fletch » 19 Mar 2013 18:48

considered the suit... but am expecting some gi upset at the run stage... going to take immodium on the bike, so concerned getting out of the one piece may be a bit tricky!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 Using ForumTouch for Android
fletch

Postby Ewan » 19 Mar 2013 18:55

fletch wrote:ok... thought this through some more. i'm thinking of the following combinations:

Swim - Tri shorts and wetsuit
Bike - Tri shorts, bib shorts and jersey
Run - Tri shorts and running singlet

Don't see the need for the tri top if it's only going to ride up and become a very unflattering boob tube and no need to wear it in the swim.

Am I missing anything obvious here?

I find this works very well:

Swim: Trishorts, Tri top, non bib bike shorts, wetsuit
Bike: Trishorts, Tri top, non bib bike shorts + socks
run: Trishorts, Tri top + socks.

The advantages of this are that (apart from adding socks) you are only ever taking kit off - getting bib shorts and jersey on when you are wet will be a complete arse. Also, at the end of the bike it takes less than a second to remove your shorts before you put your shoes on. Tri top also saves you time from multiple changes, plus my Champ sys tri top has pockets for storing gels for the run which you wouldn't have in a singlet. I've had no problems with wet shorts after the swim, they dry quickly once you get the wind on them and frankly if you are hydrating enough, there's a good chance you'll piss in them later on anyway.

I went with full changes for my first IM but have been using the above system ever since and it's the best solution I've found*.

*apart from the time I forgot to take my bike shorts off until about 5km into the run and had to carry them for the rest of the run lap until I could throw them over the fence into transition on the next lap!! :oops: :oops:
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ewan » 19 Mar 2013 19:00

Oops...
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby md6 » 22 Mar 2013 16:14

Go for the Faris Al-sultan and wear speedo's and a tri top. none of these padded nonsense shorts.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Previous

Return to Technical FAQ