Carbon frames from China

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Carbon frames from China

Postby CCS » 23 Dec 2012 17:06

Yay or nay?

So, I really do quite fancy a TT bike, but am rapidly coming to realise that I will simply never be able to fund a fancy one (well, certainly not until both kids are done with further education... so a very long way off!). Anyway, I guess the cheap alternative is to look at a carbon frame from China, and cobble something together from bargain bits & pieces (given that Christmas sales are approaching).
I can't quite shake off the feeling that this is a vanity purchase, and I should save my pennies.

Good idea or steer clear?
Will Champ actually be faster anyway?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: Carbon frames from China

Postby Kevy427 » 23 Dec 2012 17:27

Could work out more expensive in the long run once import duty and shipping have been added on plus you don't know what the quality of the frame will be like. Is it more resin than carbon? What about sizing? Warranty claim if there's an issue with it? There is a lot of good stuff that comes out of factories in the Far East but I would be wary of purchasing something like that. Lower value items are ok, but if you're thinking of dropping a bag of sand on a frame then be very careful. If you're planning a holiday out there then you can inspect a frame before you buy it ;)

Have you looked on eBay? Best time for a bargain will be when the new seasons bikes are launched or if you can find a frame a few years old that a LBS wants to get rid of. Another site is the Polizi Bumblebee auction site for stolen/recovered goods that haven't been claimed. What about some blagging at the Triathlon Show in March?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby ris » 23 Dec 2012 17:35

i'v read quite a few people who have bought carbon frames from china on bikeradar and a lot of them are very happy with it. might be worth reading some of the threads there to get an idea of the issues/costs/who has a good rep etc.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Dec 2012 17:53

Have a look at Mr Cammish's Christmas tips

Www.iancammish.co.uk
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes