Running tights

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Running tights

Postby Woody » 31 Oct 2012 12:01

I normally run in 3/4 tights but have been having thoughts about going to full length run tights as I have issues with my lower legs. My thinking is that longer length tights may keep my lower legs warmer and therefore slightly more supple? I need new ones anyway so even if it doesn't help it's no great loss and will at the very least be a bit warmer as I plan on running throughout winter.

SO what do people suggest? I've been looking at 2XU and may even go for a pair with some compression but not necessarily?

Open to suggestions but they'll need to be up to a battering on the moors/hills! Ian? Bigshow? what do you guys use?
Woody
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Re: Running tights

Postby Worrying Will » 31 Oct 2012 12:10

I just use karrimoor one about £10 from sports direct
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby Big_Show » 31 Oct 2012 12:46

I'm afraid I can't help with this mate, I just wear shorts all winter. My flatmae wear's a pair of fleecy Scott tights though - they're actually bike tights but there's no pad so they're fine for running in.

What are the lower leg issues you're trying to prevent?
Big_Show

Postby Seasider71 » 31 Oct 2012 13:15

I do most of my running around 6am so it is a bit chilly - I use the 2XU tights and have had them now for 2 years - I would well recommend shelling out the extra cash for these.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jack Hughes » 31 Oct 2012 13:51

I have some Gore running tights. Had them for 4 years+. They are tight (but not quite as much as a compression tight), have zips on the lower legs, so less compression there, but, crucially, they have breathable sides.

They don't look quite as indecent as 2XU - I tend not to run in these (mainly because I don't like getting them muddy, as I really use them for post exercise compression - which might well include going to bed in them - hence mud would not be a good idea).

If it is ankles/calves, then I would recommend some compression socks (1000 mile have served me well). Then you can use the tights to hide these :D. They definitely help. So much so that I keep expecting them to be banned by the various world bodies, so have more recently tried to sort out the root cause, rather than rely on comp. stuff to hold me together.

I used the tights on Sunday, running across the moors/fells in driving rain. They kept me knees warmish (well, warming than they would have done) and the tight fabric doesn't get waterlogged, so it is not unpleasant. No chafage either.

I would say they are ideal:

- Keep your knees warm
- not too hot
- can be worn on top of comp. socks
- not too indecent looking
- durable
- don't get in the way of running action, even in wet conditions.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jellybaby » 31 Oct 2012 14:12

I use an old pair of compression tights. Keep the legs reasonably warm and seem to keep me warm unless it's pissing down with rain. But then I've not run in them for ages, so it could just be the gloss of a memory from happier times :lol:
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Woody » 31 Oct 2012 14:38

I'm not really buying them to 'cure' my lower leg problems but it could be an advantage I could see if it works if I went down the line of full length tights. fundamentally I need to renew my 3/4 tights! The problems are basically achilles and hamstrings, keeping them warm keeps them supple....that's my 'logic' :lol:

Thank for that Ian, I'll check out Gore (any particular model?) and I may well go ahead with 2XU (because I get 30% off) on Gav's recommendation (are they the running tights, or the compressions or the Elite compression?)

Thanks people!
Woody

Postby md6 » 31 Oct 2012 18:00

i tend to wear shorts now but i have a nice pair of reasonably cheap decathlon running tights, they are fleecy lined and warm, don't tend to get too bad in teh wet - but they aren't waterproof or anything. The only time i really struggled in them was -2 in teh wind after it had been sleeting and they were wet through. None too warm then.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 31 Oct 2012 18:16

3/4s... Do they even make them in men's sizes?

It's either warm enough for shorts, or if it is actually cold or raining then it is a pair of cheapish Nike tights for me. No point spending shedloads on tights. The only scientific evidence I've seen supporting the effects of compression is in recovery, so frankly I've yet to see the point of dropping £60 on some tights to get all grotty in a week or 2.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby kfjatek » 31 Oct 2012 18:19

Mine are Nike's too. Nice and warm, and didn't cost the earth.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek

Next

Return to Technical FAQ