Changing Wheels

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

Changing Wheels

Postby flavadave » 21 Jun 2010 17:19

Might be a dumb ass question, but can I put my Easton EA50 wheels which were on my road bike, onto my hybrid?

I think I can right?
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Changing Wheels

Postby didds » 21 Jun 2010 21:25

front should be easy enough I guess.

rear is potentially a bit more involved...

change the cassette ?

or if its the "same" sized cassette change the chain over to got with it ... is the chain "right" for the chainrings?

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ris » 21 Jun 2010 22:05

provided they are the same diameter (700/650 and that) and the tyres aren't of a shape or size that might interfere with the brakes then in theory, yes.

as didds has said, you may want to watch the cassette/chain/chainrings relationship as you might find that even with a compatible speed setup the chain could skip if the cassette is well worn in.

if you bring the chain over with the cassette then another thing to check is chain length - the frame shape on the hybrid might be different from your road bike (which tend to be compact) then the chain might be too long or short for the setup. chainring size and derallieur rear cage could also mean that a longer chain is needed.

i'm making it sound worse than it is, though!
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby didds » 22 Jun 2010 10:42

This is another of those "elephant in the room" areas IMO.

one hears so much advice about what should or shouldn't be possible... but try and get a definitive source and its impossible.

I guess there's only one way to find out -but get it wrong and it could be disasterously expensive (or worse!)
didds
didds

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jellybaby » 22 Jun 2010 14:16

Hang on, hang on, hang on.

Why are you putting your EA50s onto your hybrid??!? Have you bought gary's wheels for red kev?
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby

Postby flavadave » 22 Jun 2010 15:18

Jellybaby wrote:Have you bought gary's wheels for red kev?

The misses would have chopped my knackers off if I had!

Red Kev has been sporting mavic ksyrium's since the maintenance rookie day, so my EA50's have been gathering dust in the shed. Thought about ebaying, but then had a eureka moment. To be honest, they've caused me more grief than a little as they're a b#### to get tyres on and off. But for commuting they should fine... Hmmm.
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby md6 » 23 Jun 2010 14:14

flavadave wrote:To be honest, they've caused me more grief than a little as they're a b#### to get tyres on and off. But for commuting they should fine... Hmmm.

:lol: until you're trying o fix a puncture half way to work in the pissing rain :lol:
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Return to Technical FAQ