How many tyres?

Post your questions about bike maintenance, bike problems, kit issues, goggle issues – anything to do with the kit you have which isn’t quite going to plan and you’re looking for an answer why.

How many tyres?

Postby Woody » 22 Apr 2010 21:19

OK, now before you start - I know you have 2 on a bike! :lol:

Willy_1977's thread about tyres has prompted a question...how many sets of tyres do folks have? 1 set for all or a set for commuting and a set for race day? I have a set of schwalbe (sp?) puncture resistant ones and am half thinking that an out and out 'race set' may be worthwhile for race days? is that a done thing....or just a useless faff and expense?
Woody
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Re: How many tyres?

Postby Bendy Ben » 22 Apr 2010 22:29

1 tub spare and 2 clincher spares
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby IanM » 23 Apr 2010 09:27

I'm thinking about getting a pair of these for racing - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vittoria_Open_Corsa_Evo_CX_Road_Tyre/5360041779/

They're 320 TPI (threads per inch), compared to my current ones which are 120. Apparently this gives them a lot less rolling resistance = a fair bit faster :) They can be picked up for about 60 quid a new set on ebay, and if they're worth 15W each (not sure how accurate that is - it was from someone on the 220 forum) then that's a lot of performance for the cash.
IanM

Postby Woody » 24 Apr 2010 00:01

iadama wrote:I'm thinking about getting a pair of these for racing - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vittoria_Open_Corsa_Evo_CX_Road_Tyre/5360041779/

They're 320 TPI (threads per inch), compared to my current ones which are 120. Apparently this gives them a lot less rolling resistance = a fair bit faster :) They can be picked up for about 60 quid a new set on ebay, and if they're worth 15W each (not sure how accurate that is - it was from someone on the 220 forum) then that's a lot of performance for the cash.

320 tpi?....15W? oh eck...your moving into tech territory... :lol:

Does that mean that there is enough difference in tyres that having a 'fast set' for races and a 'harder wearing set' for day to day/training is a good idea?
Woody
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby IanM » 24 Apr 2010 00:26

mickwood wrote:
iadama wrote:I'm thinking about getting a pair of these for racing - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vittoria_Open_Corsa_Evo_CX_Road_Tyre/5360041779/

320 tpi?....15W? oh eck...your moving into tech territory... :lol:

Does that mean that there is enough difference in tyres that having a 'fast set' for races and a 'harder wearing set' for day to day/training is a good idea?

As I understand it, yes. The race tires are not very hard wearing, so not good for keeping on for training rides, but definitely worth the benefit for racing... apparently. I have no first hand experience of this (yet) but hopefully someone else has...
IanM

Postby Jules » 22 Jul 2010 12:39

How do you find out what the rolling resistance for a particular tyre is? I never see a figure quoted for this? Can "low rolling resistance" be quantified in some way in terms of time saving, increased speed etc?
Occasional BCTTT messageboard loiterer.
Jules
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby S11 » 22 Jul 2010 16:00

I have one set of clinchers that are simply bomb proof. One set of tubs (race) and one set of tubs (spare - got them well cheap). I'll have my race tubs on the wheels at IMUK with the spares in tow just incase.

The clinchers are used for training.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby jonathon.e » 25 Jul 2010 06:18

One set of Michelin pro race clinchers,used for both training and racing.Just change them when they wear out.

Reason being I am a cheap skate.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 17 Aug 2010 08:51

Some old ones for the turbo... But don't use them as I keep using the power meter..

Some race tyres... And some winterish training tyres.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 17 Aug 2010 09:12

Just the one set (Conti GP4000s) which I use for everything... life's too short to be changing tyres unless I absolutely have to!

Oh yes, and a turbo tyre for indoor use, plus a few rejects hanging around in the garage that probably ought to be binned (whatever cane as standard on a bottom of the range Specialized Allez... rubbish - loads of punctures; the red Vittoria turbo tyre - also rubbish - sheds little bits of red rubber all over your house)

In fact, all round, I would recommend Continentai tyres - never had any issues with them!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Next

Return to Technical FAQ