2014 Time trialling Forum/Club BAR Competition

Re: 2014 Time trialling Forum/Club BAR Competition

Postby IanM » 24 Sep 2014 14:01

Jack Hughes wrote:1 hour at FTP-2%, 20 mins at FTP+?, 60 min+ grovel home

FTFY

Going to go very conservative to start, especially with most of the first 8 miles down hill. Thankfully there's a ride from last year's event on Strava with a rider who's been setting similar times to me at other (albeit shorter) events, and did a 1:57 last year, so I've added his times at the various points as reference to my usual course notes so I can know if I'm close to sub 2hrs or not.

But the plan is loosely based on 270w (FTP-10%) for the first hour, then gradually up it, saving something in the legs for concrete mountain at the end which I'd expect to be doing at FTP+.
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Sep 2014 10:54

Right... all over bar (sic) the shouting.

Although Tritans was on about a last 25... so there could be some changes. Other than that, only IanM with a 10 next weekend, which may just improve him.

The results are:

1) Short BAR (10, 25, 50)

IanM 26.49 mph
CCS 23.84 mph

2) FUBAR (10a, 10b, 25a, 25b)

A reasonable number of entries this year, with 7 people managing it!

IanM 26.88 mph
Ewan 25.25 mph
CCS 24.91 mph

3) Sprinters competition (10a, 10b) (9 people managing it!)

IanM 27.09 mph
Ewan 25.97 mph
JH 25.41 mph

IanM has rewritten the record books this year, with only the 100 still firmly in Tritan's clasp.

An awesome year, which just goes to show what a bit of focus, hard work (and some genetics) does.

Focus is not just about picking one discipline, but working out which events to enter, getting qualification times to get in the faster events, and being prepared to travel a bit. There is a lot of strategy involved as well as just pedalling!
Hard work isn't just about developing power, but also working on position and aerodynamics.

Chapeau. An excellent first "proper" season.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 29 Sep 2014 11:32

Jack Hughes wrote:An awesome year, which just goes to show what a bit of focus, hard work (and some genetics) does.

Focus is not just about picking one discipline, but working out which events to enter, getting qualification times to get in the faster events, and being prepared to travel a bit. There is a lot of strategy involved as well as just pedalling!
Hard work isn't just about developing power, but also working on position and aerodynamics.

Chapeau. An excellent first "proper" season.

Shucks :oops:

Cheers JH. A big thanks to the support, feedback & advice from many people on the forum. I've really enjoyed this year and have definitely found my niche. I'm bloody knackered now though and looking forward to a break! Also planning on doing a little bit of off season running, just to do something a bit different and help bring the weight down. Nothing competitive though... well, maybe the odd Park Run. It'll be interesting to see if there's any impact on my run times based on a season long bike focus.

Once this season is properly done and dusted I'm going to put some analysis from the season on the forum, which will also kick off a training log of sorts including goals for next season, for those interested. Watch this space.

Jack Hughes wrote:with only the 100 still firmly in Tritan's clasp.

And he's welcome to it. Although I hope he'll be looking to improve on that next year as part of his IM build up, as well as CCS's maiden 100 - will be a good battle to watch.
IanM

Postby Ewan » 29 Sep 2014 12:38

A thoroughly impressive romp by Ian!

For my part I count this season as having been both enjoyable but also a bit of a damp squib.

I entered seven 25mile TTs, but only raced four. Of the four I rode, only one of those was on a reasonable course and 'targeted' and I rode 1:00:00, thus failing to achieve my aim of going under the hour despite a considerable PB. Of the three I missed, all were on reasonable courses and all were 'targeted' however two were rained off and I didn't get a start at BUCS because of the vagaries of university cycling club politics.

I've been more satisfied with my 10s. I raced eight times and pushed my previous PB back twice, with four of my top five times now coming from this season, and several other course PBs. Interestingly, none of my fastest times were power PBs... my best average power for a 10 came on a sporting course where I rode 24:50. I had the opportunity to go out and ride the fast Tring course (which reputedly is worth 30seconds compared to the H10/181) but I'd prefer to compare myself to previous times on known courses than knowing I'll always have to travel for the sake of a new PB. The disappointing side of the 10s is that my season was sporadic and essentially all meaningful training stopped on the 18th of June (the day of my 10mile PB and day before my 30th...) and my CTL fell steadily until the end of August. If I'd have been able to continue to get faster through late summer then I'm sure more, faster times would have come.

I only entered one 50 and that was also cancelled.

Next year my main focus is IM wales, but I'll definitely try to lay down some times for the FoBAR 2015, with my goal being to stay ahead of CCS and to go under 05:03:30 for a 100miler.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Worrying Will » 29 Sep 2014 13:16

Yeah I came last. But but looking at the detail. I stave an award. I was the only one who had a faster Ave speed for the the fubar than the sprinters
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby IanM » 29 Sep 2014 14:45

Worrying Will wrote:Yeah I came last. But but looking at the detail. I stave an award. I was the only one who had a faster Ave speed for the the fubar than the sprinters

Are you the only one who did races on a road bike?
IanM

Postby IanM » 29 Sep 2014 15:18

IanM wrote:
Worrying Will wrote:Yeah I came last. But but looking at the detail. I stave an award. I was the only one who had a faster Ave speed for the the fubar than the sprinters

Are you the only one who did races on a road bike?

Also - despite being nagged constantly, you never rode a fast 10 course. You didn't even ride a medium one. You just did the 'orrible lumpy Coalville ones ;)
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Sep 2014 15:24

IanM wrote:
Also - despite being nagged constantly, you never rode a fast 10 course. You didn't even ride a medium one. You just did the 'orrible lumpy Coalville ones ;)

That's because he didn't want to spoil his chances of winning the "doing the 10s slower than the 25s" prize.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 30 Sep 2014 06:38

IanM wrote:Once this season is properly done and dusted I'm going to put some analysis from the season on the forum, which will also kick off a training log of sorts including goals for next season, for those interested. Watch this space.

Epic season Ian - have really admired your focus, and will be very interested to read some analysis, and see (copy) what you are up to next season.
Must come and try some of these speedy courses oop north too, if there is BBAR to consider, though exit passes may be hard to come by.
Really well done!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Krusty the Klown » 21 Jan 2015 11:40

Looking forward to this years!

As it's the FORUM USERS BAR, rather than Club, then IanM can still play. And CCS
Krusty the Klown

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Time Trials