First 50TT

First 50TT

Postby IanM » 25 Sep 2014 13:46

Looked with horror at my training log to find that the longest ride I've done in the last 6 months is HotW (almost 6 months to the day, come the weekend). My 2nd longest is about 1h42, although quite a few are in the 1h30-1h40 range.

So if I hope to hold a decent pace for around 2 hours, I'm going to need fuel. I only normally take a bit of fluid (electrolytes only) on a 25, but will have to up this - so either 500 or 750ml bottle, probably full (which will help nicely with the first 8 miles which are downhill). I'll stick with Nuun only as I've not used a carb drink in years, so don't know how my stomach will take it. I road tested a gel mid long interval this week which went fine, so that will be the fuelling source, on top of my normal caffeine gel 20-25 mins before the start. But that still leaves a few questions:

1. How many gels? I know I can do an hour race and (usually) an 90 minute intervals session without any, but this is going to be twice as long as my longest race this year. 2 gels? Take a 3rd as backup?
2. When to take them? If I go with 2, I'm thinking 1 at 45 minutes (probably one without caffeine), and 1 at about 75 minutes (with caffeine). Should be enough time to get into my system, plus the caffeine, to hopefully give me a strong finish, especially as the last 20 minutes or so of the course are hardest.
3. Where to put them? Skin suit has no pockets. Taping to the top tube is what I've done previously in middle distance tri, but is there a better option?

I appreciate that this is something I can only truly know by experimenting, but I was always going to be having to wing a 50 when I did one, so common sense advice as a starter is appreciated.
IanM

Re: First 50TT

Postby Ewan » 25 Sep 2014 14:11

gels tucked up the front of the skinsuit leg. out of the air and easy to access.

Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ewan » 25 Sep 2014 14:14

for a 50 I'd probably have 2 gels at 40 and 80 minutes Plus carbs drink when I wanted it.
Ewan

Postby IanM » 25 Sep 2014 14:18

Cheers Ewan. Definitely looks less faff than taping it to the top tube. I can always put a reserve in the Speed Concept draft box, just in case I fumble one.
IanM

Postby Ewan » 25 Sep 2014 14:27

Having an extra spare would be no bad thing as a boost if you feel you are starting to bonk.

It's going to be quick! although I don't know the course, I'll stick my neck out and predict a 1:56.16... definitely sub 2 :-)

What does Jack_H think?
Ewan

Postby IanM » 25 Sep 2014 14:40

I'm entering unknown territory in terms of distance at pace. It could go spectacularly badly. But, the big target is definitely sub 2 hours. I'll be over the moon with a 1:59! Conditions look pretty good - bit of an odd excursion off the dual carriageway to make up the distance, which will give me 2-3 miles into a headwind, but other than that the conditions are reasonably favourable. This is the course - http://www.strava.com/activities/85524555

I'm not sure if JH has cast his runes yet...
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 25 Sep 2014 15:55

IanM wrote:So if I hope to hold a decent pace for around 2 hours, I'm going to need fuel.

Not that much though. You probably have enough time to require, and process, about 1 gel (65g per hour, you probably only really need to worry about 30 minutes).

much more important than what you do in the two hours of the race is what you do in the preceding 2 - 3 days. Your eating (proper food with some nice carbs) should start today, along with making sure you are drinking properly - keeping that wee a nice pale colour. Putting in a pound or two - carbs + fluid between now and Sunday wouldn't be a bad thing (or is it Saturday?).

I only normally take a bit of fluid (electrolytes only) on a 25, but will have to up this - so either 500 or 750ml bottle, probably full (which will help nicely with the first 8 miles which are downhill). I'll stick with Nuun only as I've not used a carb drink in years, so don't know how my stomach will take it.

I'd guess it will take it no worse (probably better) than a gel.

I would just have a bottle with a carb drink in. And have some swigs. as you feel thirsty.

I road tested a gel mid long interval this week which went fine, so that will be the fuelling source, on top of my normal caffeine gel 20-25 mins before the start.

If you have tested it, then OK - but an ISO gel (no water required) or an ordinary one (which needs water).

I find the mechanics of taking a gel slow you down a lot (admittedly, I am not practiced, but neither are you, having only done the one 56 mile race - with a bit of a swim before and a run after

But that still leaves a few questions:

1. How many gels? I know I can do an hour race and (usually) an 90 minute intervals session without any, but this is going to be twice as long as my longest race this year. 2 gels? Take a 3rd as backup?
2. When to take them? If I go with 2, I'm thinking 1 at 45 minutes (probably one without caffeine), and 1 at about 75 minutes (with caffeine). Should be enough time to get into my system, plus the caffeine, to hopefully give me a strong finish, especially as the last 20 minutes or so of the course are hardest.
3. Where to put them? Skin suit has no pockets. Taping to the top tube is what I've done previously in middle distance tri, but is there a better option?

one would probably be enough. 45-60 mins. No more than 2.
I use the stuffing up the shorts leg trick. Works well. Even on running. So long as you remember to empty your legs out afterwards :D

I appreciate that this is something I can only truly know by experimenting, but I was always going to be having to wing a 50 when I did one, so common sense advice as a starter is appreciated.

It is a learning exercise.

Personally, I would go with an energy drink. And not necessarily expect to drink all of it.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 25 Sep 2014 16:11

Cheers JH. I think it would be a big risk to try a carb drink on Saturday, not having used one in years, and having a bit of a history of upset stomach when racing. However, I'll be doing a short prep session tomorrow, so it wouldn't hurt to try it then and see how I get one.

Gels are Isotonic ones - SiS, which I sometimes use in training, and always before a race, usually with no ill effects.
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 25 Sep 2014 16:19

IanM wrote:Cheers JH. I think it would be a big risk to try a carb drink on Saturday, not having used one in years, and having a bit of a history of upset stomach when racing. However, I'll be doing a short prep session tomorrow, so it wouldn't hurt to try it then and see how I get one.

Gels are Isotonic ones - SiS, which I sometimes use in training, and always before a race, usually with no ill effects.

I think the main thing is that the prep starts now :D
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 25 Sep 2014 16:25

Yep - almost always ensure I'm well hydrated (with water ;)). Will carb up for tea too :)
IanM

Next

Return to Cycling Time Trials