Evolution of a position

Re: Evolution of a position

Postby Kevy427 » 15 Sep 2014 19:51

IanM wrote:Updated first post with a couple more pics.

Still disappointed...
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Jack Hughes » 15 Sep 2014 20:02

Anaerobic power down? Does this correlate with weight loss?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 15 Sep 2014 20:12

Ewan wrote:So you had a bike fit in Feb that led to the first position and then a second fit in June that led to the later setup?

What changed between the two fitting sessions to give such different positions? Better flexibility, different brief, different fitter?

The bike set up didn't change that much in June - saddle a bit forward/down, bars a bit lower, and some shoe/cleat adjustments. Mike did both fits. When I went in for the mid season fit, I said I wanted it to be more aggressive. My flexibility increased as I was doing regular pilates / core sessions in the first half of the year. A large part of the change is how I hold myself on the bike. It's not just a case of sitting on the bike and getting on with it (which is what I did until after the mid season fit), I need to actively think 'narrow'/'low' and focus on my upper body position.

Jack Hughes wrote:Anaerobic power down? Does this correlate with weight loss?

I don't think so - weight's been creeping up a bit in the last couple of months, but I'll check - the overall trend may match. Hoping to see anaerobic power go back up as I do regular pyramid intervals over winter.
IanM

Postby Bopomofo » 15 Sep 2014 22:11

Looking at these pics, I think the biggest change to your position has been done by you.

Your lower back is very rounded and inflexible in the early pics. In later pics you have tipped your pelvis forwards more and you lower back is more flexible.

Similarly, look in later pics for how flat your shoulders are compared to the rounded upper back earlier. How much did your swimming volume change over that period? Just look at your head position compared to your upper back from the early to the later positions.

You may have had a few fitting tweaks, but I reckon time in the saddle has done 80% of this.

Train on what you race, boys & girls.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby SickBoy » 15 Sep 2014 23:33

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing! You certainly look fast in the last photo. What you say about how you hold yourself on the bike is interesting, not expecting the position to be 100% as a result of contact points being setup right...

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby CCS » 16 Sep 2014 09:03

IanM wrote:There's also a few positional tips that I picked up from Adam Topham's book, as recommended before. Probably not very fair for me to just dump them on the forum, but I'll see if I can write something up. It's worth getting the book though.

Yes - thanks for the recommendation - have bought that and am currently digesting (do I get a refund if it doesn't make me as fast as you next year? :lol: ) - that's one of the things that is sowing the seeds of doubt as to how much time I might have available to commit to triathlon next year if I want to get faster....
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby IanM » 16 Sep 2014 10:17

Bopomofo wrote:Looking at these pics, I think the biggest change to your position has been done by you.

I think you're probably right - although part of it is getting the bike position right so that I can adjust my upper body to suit.

Bopomofo wrote:Your lower back is very rounded and inflexible in the early pics. In later pics you have tipped your pelvis forwards more and you lower back is more flexible.

That's a combination of the mid season fit, plus pilates core work, and a specific exercise given to me by MtB to improve flexibility and imbalance, and as you say, time on the bike. Almost all of my rides since about Feb/March have been on this bike - avg of 20hrs per month.

Bopomofo wrote:How much did your swimming volume change over that period?

Not at all. It's been a consistent 0 hours per month for 16 months now ;)

Bopomofo wrote:Train on what you race, boys & girls.

Amen to that!
IanM

Postby IanM » 16 Sep 2014 10:18

SickBoy wrote:Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing! You certainly look fast in the last photo. What you say about how you hold yourself on the bike is interesting, not expecting the position to be 100% as a result of contact points being setup right...

It's a combination of contact points, but also how you hold your head, shoulders, arms, etc. The contact points can only do so much, you've got to do the last bits yourself.
IanM

Postby IanM » 16 Sep 2014 10:19

CCS wrote:
IanM wrote:There's also a few positional tips that I picked up from Adam Topham's book, as recommended before. Probably not very fair for me to just dump them on the forum, but I'll see if I can write something up. It's worth getting the book though.

Yes - thanks for the recommendation - have bought that and am currently digesting (do I get a refund if it doesn't make me as fast as you next year? :lol: ) - that's one of the things that is sowing the seeds of doubt as to how much time I might have available to commit to triathlon next year if I want to get faster....

I'm extremely biased, obviously, but I know where I think you should commit your time for next year ;)

I'll be interested to see what you make of the book. I'd say some of it is to be taken with a pinch of salt, but there's a lot of gems in there. I saw this morning that he's got another book coming out before Xmas, so anyone thinking about buying it might want to hold off.
IanM

Previous

Return to Cycling Time Trials