Tour of Sufferlandria - 6th to 14th Feb 2016

Discuss upcoming races here

Tour of Sufferlandria - 6th to 14th Feb 2016

Postby Bopomofo » 05 Jan 2016 16:34

It's that time of year again...the 'route' for the annual Tour of Sufferlandria is being published tomorrow and I am fairly sure it is going to be horrendous.

They're bound to include their new videos, "Do as You're Told" and "The Best Thing in the World" which will be nice. In a nasty way.

In a change this year, they appear to have broken the link with TrainerRoad as Sufferfest are now moving towards a subscription model using their own app - which also appears to support Virtual Power in the same way as TrainerRoad. Maybe they will launch the app in time for the ToS and expect us all to fork out $10/month.

Otherwise, I guess this means you would either have to own ALL the vids in the tour, OR be a member of TrainerRoad so you can do the workout even without the vids.

Anyway, I'm thinking of having a go at it this year, using the videos I have already got running in TrainerRoad. I missed out last year owing to unfortunate timing of a weekend away and a business trip, but I should be OK this year. Great way to get your mileage kick-started for the year.

Any thoughts / takers?
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Tour of Sufferlandria - 6th to 14th Feb 2016

Postby SickBoy » 05 Jan 2016 18:03

I'll be doing it. Saw they were making their own trainer road. Not sure what I'll do about which platform. It'll be a shame if they dump TR entirely, I won't pay for both, seems pointless.

Might get a new vid or 2 if they look good. Otherwise just running the workout on TR with my own soundtrack works well for me!

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby IanM » 05 Jan 2016 18:07

SufferFest's "we're not friends with TrainerRoad any more" FB post when unveiling the ToS was an interesting read, with a fair pinch of finger pointing IIRC.

Will be interesting to see what TrainerRoad do as they've got a lot of competition now, all doing virtually (ho ho) the same thing, and some of them for free.
IanM

Postby SickBoy » 05 Jan 2016 20:52

Didn't see that, I will have to look it up!

SickBoy

Postby Bopomofo » 05 Jan 2016 23:44

SickBoy wrote:I'll be doing it. Saw they were making their own trainer road. Not sure what I'll do about which platform. It'll be a shame if they dump TR entirely, I won't pay for both, seems pointless.

Might get a new vid or 2 if they look good. Otherwise just running the workout on TR with my own soundtrack works well for me!

I bought the three new ones and have done two. They're VERY good. But yes, TR workout profile and the radio worked well for me for the vids I didn't have.

IanM wrote:SufferFest's "we're not friends with TrainerRoad any more" FB post when unveiling the ToS was an interesting read, with a fair pinch of finger pointing IIRC.

Will be interesting to see what TrainerRoad do as they've got a lot of competition now, all doing virtually (ho ho) the same thing, and some of them for free.

Yeah, I did wonder what the background was. TR seemed to spit out the synchronised workouts to the new videos pretty quickly, but who know if they'll do it for future ones? Maybe the SF guys got peed off that TR also do workouts using other video tracks too. Or maybe they just decided to white label some other app and/or mod it to fit their own needs.

So far as I'm concerned TR pretty much pioneered the whole 'Virtual Power' thing and I've encouraged them with my cash from early on. I've also spent a shit-load of cash on Sufferfest videos which I view as 'fun' workouts when the weather is shit or the time is short. I certainly don;t want to pay $10/month to tie myself to Sufferfest. I'll continue to pay the same amount to TrainerRoad who I'll use no matter what and also have a multitude of training plans for me to fail at. :lol:
Bopomofo

Postby Bopomofo » 06 Jan 2016 10:57

And the route is published... Day two made me giggle :shock:

Stage 1, Sat, 6 Feb: ISLAGIATT
Duration: 1hr 50mins

Stage 2, Sun, 7 Feb: Revolver + Revolver
Duration: 1hr 40mins

Stage 3: Mon, 8 Feb: The Best Thing in the World
Duration: 48mins

Stage 4: Tue, 9 Feb: To Get to the Other Side
Duration: 1hr 30mins

Stage 5: Wed, 10 Feb: The Rookie
Duration: 1hr

Stage 6: Thu, 11 Feb: The Wretched
Duration: 48mins

Stage 7: Fri, 12 Feb: Do As You're Told
Duration: 47mins

Stage 8: Sat, 31 Jan: A Very Dark Place + Nine Hammers
Duration: 2hrs

Stage 9: Sun, 1 Feb: Power Station* + Violator
Duration: 2hrs

* New video. Will be on sale in late January.
Bopomofo

Postby SickBoy » 06 Jan 2016 14:10

I'm disappointed that there's no TR integration this time. That was a really good motivator for me. I guess the Sufferfest are doing it to get people into their own app and on subscription. After all I bought some videos years ago and not spent much more money since then. On the other hand the TR sub takes more money out of me. I think they want a slice of that pie. I guess I'll try to do it, probably still on TR where possible.

Interesting route this year, the weekdays look a little lighter and the weekends a bit tougher than I remember. I am probably just scared.

Need to get back on the turbo!

SickBoy

Postby Bopomofo » 06 Jan 2016 15:41

SickBoy wrote:... probably still on TR where possible.

Interesting route this year, the weekdays look a little lighter and the weekends a bit tougher than I remember. I am probably just scared.

Need to get back on the turbo!

All the workouts are on TR, apart from the one that hasn't been released yet. Despite them not being best chums anymore, TR have been very quick at getting a workout created for the latest Sufferfests. Could just be a reflection of the workout editor getting more useable, I suppose.

If there's no workout forthcoming for Power Station when it is released I'll create my own approximation of it and just do that with the radio on. I'll have to do the The Wretched without visuals too as I don't have that video and I'm not buying any more!!
Bopomofo

Postby Kevy427 » 06 Jan 2016 17:55

Bopomofo wrote:I don't have that video and I'm not buying any more!!

I have a collection of videos you're welcome to borrow, but I must warn you that a widescreen will be needed to view 'Following a lycra clad Tritans around The Riviera'. And a sick bucket
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Bopomofo » 06 Jan 2016 21:05

Kevy427 wrote:
Bopomofo wrote:I don't have that video and I'm not buying any more!!

I have a collection of videos you're welcome to borrow, but I must warn you that a widescreen will be needed to view 'Following a lycra clad Tritans around The Riviera'. And a sick bucket

Blimey Kev, I'm not into anything THAT extreme! Have you got anything shorter and perhaps easier, such as "Bendy's Year of Training (Uneditted Version)"?
Bopomofo

Next

Return to Events