South Coast / South East Training Events - Swashbuckler

Discuss upcoming races here

Re: South Coast / South East Training Events - Swashbuckler

Postby chappers » 10 May 2010 10:37

Oh f'k... I only have a double 23-11 at my disposal as no time get to my parents to get my compact, 28-11 hill flattener... Im going to die aren't I?!
No? Tough. We're doing it.
chappers
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Blog: View Blog (54)

Postby Bopomofo » 10 May 2010 12:51

Can't do Saturday, Scotty... any chance of Sunday? I can meet in Buckler's Hard car park for just about any time you want, got a pretty free morning.

Oh, why am I lining myself up for more pain on the legendary mountains of the southern New Forest??
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby flavadave » 10 May 2010 12:56

WTF????

Are you guys serious? I thought Swashbuckler was relatively flat? I was thinking I could pretty much blag it on the day!!!

You were joking right... Please say you were joking.
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Jellybaby » 10 May 2010 15:57

Chappers: I've got a spare 12-25 ultegra cassette if you want to borrow it for the race?

Bopo: I can only do the Sat as racing East grinstead on sunday morning (unless we do the loop in the afternoon?)

Flava: You'd better come for this reccy too i guess chum!
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Bopomofo » 10 May 2010 16:51

What do you reckon, Jody? Enough?
Bopomofo

Postby didds » 10 May 2010 16:53

Jellybaby wrote:Chappers: I've got a spare 12-25 ultegra cassette if you want to borrow it for the race?

this prolly comes under technical really but... would that be "OK" on the current chain, or would chappers need JB's chain to accompany the cassette, or a completely new chain to go with it/

Or would a one off "not really matter" ?

cheers

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Bopomofo » 10 May 2010 16:59

<Giggle>
Bopomofo

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 10 May 2010 17:32

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Part of me wishes I wasn't racing next weekend so I could have done the full route and sit here laughing smuggly about your impending fate (in a Conehead style "I'm in Arizona in the sunshine whilst it is snowing in the UK" style). :lol: :lol:

So I guess this means I don't need to worry about getting down to the course before 10:15 on the day to see you all coming back into transition then :P
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby flavadave » 11 May 2010 08:55

Bopomofo wrote:What do you reckon, Jody? Enough?

Does this mean you have been busting our onions??? You've got to be... Please, I can't take this anymore.

Dear god of england... If you make the course nice and flat I won't ask for anything more. If that is ok, please give me absolutely no sign. (pause) Ok, deal. In gratitude, I present you this offering of a krispy kreme doughnut. If you want me to eat it for you, give me no sign. (pause) Thy will be done.
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Bopomofo » 11 May 2010 09:45

Your Krispy Kreme offering is accepted. :D

Me, Jody and James were struggling to find anything to say about the Swashbuckler course, so in the end we just decided to make some shite up. Some of it was quite funny, tho... :lol:

We actually had a discussion at one point along the lines of "Was that bit a hill? Can we call that a hill?". I think I got out of my seat 2 or 3 times in the whole ride, and only for a few seconds each time. You can't even call it 'rolling'. Maybe 'bumpy' would be better.

The scenery is great, though. I love the New Forest, but you have to look out for the wildlife - horses, ponies, donkeys, cows and caravanners will all randomly stray into your path and can be a bit awkward.

The only other thing of note is that the route is fairly exposed in some places and we picked up a bit of a breeze - enough to make Jody concerned about using his deep rim race wheels on the day. Bring your training wheels just in case. Also the road surfaces are very rough in places, so make sure everything is properly tightened or you'll lose bits. OTOH we did find a stretch of tarmac that had been laid specially for us - completely fresh, flat and fast. Yummy. :)

I might still have another ride around it this coming weekend, but it is quite tempting to stay local where I know there are a few hills to play on and get some proper training in. It's always nice to know your enemy in advance, however, and I'm very glad we went around.

Nice opportunity to see James again, too, and to meet Jody. In between running around after the kids and doing the decorating at home I think I spent more time with James this weekend (swimming Saturday a.m., cycling Sunday a.m.) than I spent with Mrs. Bopo! :shock:
Bopomofo

PreviousNext

Return to Events