Outlaw 2014

Discuss upcoming races here

Outlaw 2014

Postby King Sad » 16 Jul 2014 12:38

Any starters?

I will be there, probably on the Scoreboard feed stations so if you are in BCTTT kit I will give you a shout ... and possibly a tap :D

The feed stations positioned along the run route will contain the following items:
• Cups - Water Clear; High 5 White; Coke Clear
• High 5 Energy Gels: Caffeine Gels
• High 5 Zero Tabs
• Bananas, Oranges
• Jaffa Cakes, Crisps

My thoughts:

I don't want to come across a some evil, OCD type of bastard - I am :twisted: but that's beside the point.

Remember the Outlaw is an eating competition - you need to get your nutrition and hydration right.

What is your sweat rate? Don't know? Leaving it a bit late - http://www.runnersworld.com/drinks-hydr ... sweat-rate

PLEASE PLEASE do NOT guzzle the f###### water :evil: . I am fed up of people ignoring my pleas and then end up collapsing or chucking up because they have gone into hyponatremia :evil: . Heat in the UK i sunlikely to cause you to collapse - a bad hydration strategy will almost guarantee it.

Hypovolemic hyponatremia -- water and sodium are both lost from the body, but the sodium loss is greater; charged sodium ions attract up to 25 water molecules around them, creating a large polar structure that is too large to pass through the cell membrane.

1%-2% body weight dehydration:
• Reduction in blood volume
• Decreased skin blood flow
• Decreased sweat rate
• Decreased heat dissipation
• Increased core temperature
• Increased rate of muscle glycogen use
E.g for me 1% = 700ml which is pretty much my sweat rate

My suggestions:
On the run water for tipping over your head, High 5 to drink. Yes High 5 is primarily an energy source but also has electrolytes - about 200x more sodium than a banana. Gels - seek out Iso Gels - they are easier to digest and not as syrupy as the standard gels - about 50x more sodium than a banana.
Bananas - good for potassium
Crisps - c 137mg of sodium per 1oz

Beg, borrow, steal - or even buy some form of run belt with a bottle. Grab a Zero tab, drop it into your bottle with water - sip on that.

Hat/sunshade - google it and you will some some big debates on this - my personal choice is to wear a hat, some say a hat traps heat. If you decide on a a hat the BCTTT cap is very good - get one.

PLEASE PLEASE try to drop cups etc into the bins. If I have to go chasing around picking up cups it means less time sorting out drinks etc. Please help yourselves, I know it's a big ask and the elites do that a lot but just a plea from experience - it is actually against the rules to litter (although we don't make huge fuss and have public floggings), if you do something which is OTT though a DQ may result.

Children/loved ones/family/pets
- PLEASE do not let them run with you, having a 5 yr old run alongside mummy or daddy might seem cute but if they wander into the path of a 13 stone runner they will not come of best and the runner may also become injured and have DNF, please keep them under control. Up to 2 family members can come down the finishing chute with you BUT there MUST be someone available to collect them at the end, they will NOT be allowed to go past the finish line.
- PLEASE do not let them hand you drinks - DQ. If you have a specific medical requirement bring it up at the brief and arrangements will be made for your medication, drinks etc, do not do it off the cuff - a DQ often offends.

Sunscreen - we usually have sunscreen available BUT do not rely on it being there, a bit of a debate going on about allergies/liability etc. It is cheapo stuff sonot the best protection. My personal choice is P20. Even if looks to be a shit day put it on.
Nipples - nothing really just wanted to write it :D . Every year I see blokes with bleeding nipples, they always seem to ones wearing singlets as opposed to tri suits/tops. Bodyglide nips in T2. Do not count on vaseline being available - (I usually take a tub along) ... sigh - no Kevy, bad Kevy :D

When coming to a feed station try not to do a sudden halt, that can bring on a feint. Ease it down to a walk, then walk slowly through the station.

I really want everyone to do well. I enjoy volunteering for this event and feel very protective of all my boys and girls on the race I want you to have a safe and successful race - good luck :D
Edited
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Outlaw 2014

Postby Tritans » 19 Jul 2014 16:53

Keep an eye out for my friend Ruth Powell, she is number 157 and will be in a red and yellow Farnham Tri suit. She will really appreciate an encouraging word.

Have a great day.

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Kevy427 » 19 Jul 2014 17:44

Does she refer to you as "My friend, Ade" or "there's that man again" as I find it hard to believe you have an actual real-life friend?
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Tritans » 19 Jul 2014 18:52

She is a running club friend, so spends most of her time laughing at me.

Confucius
Tritans

Postby Big_Show » 19 Jul 2014 19:19

Tritans wrote:She is a friend, so spends most of her time laughing at me.

FTFY (before Kev could get to it)

Sent from the rural east.
Big_Show

Postby King Sad » 20 Jul 2014 05:34

Done. Weather forecast is mixed but not uber hot and will keep a special eye out for her :smile:
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Tritans » 20 Jul 2014 11:18

Thanks John :-)

Confucius
Tritans

Return to Events