Injinji - five toe socks - medium weight

Got a new shiny piece of kit? Or something tried and trusted? Tell us about it.

Injinji - five toe socks - medium weight

Postby King Sad » 27 Oct 2013 10:40

As part of my prep for the Ennerdale 50k I was looking at trail specific shoes and during my research references kept popping up about these.

Apart from the usual technical aspects of the sock construction they of course have five toes. The theory is that in conventional socks the toes bunch together reducing the platform for the push off and prone to rubbing together increasing the chances of blisters. In addition by allowing the toes to spread naturally it is said that less strain is imposed on the toes and foot for the joints and muscly things.

Tried them on several runs and they felt good so wore them for the big event.

Over 50k they were immersed in water and mud - no blisters and feet felt pretty good. When trotting through water no sense of foot sliding about within the shoe and once out of water squish squish and feet felt warm and dry

Very happy with them, would thoroughly recommend them and they are also endorsed by Kevy so what more can I say.
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Injinji - five toe socks - medium weight

Postby Ewan » 27 Oct 2013 14:20

I love mine. Always wear a pair underneath a pair of 2 layer blister socks for long runs / medium XC runs.

Only had one small blister in the whole of a wet 100miler :-)
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby TRIumphant » 28 Oct 2013 10:15

Another recommendation here as well. Also, use them with Vibram Five Fingers on cold days.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant

Postby Kevy427 » 28 Oct 2013 10:49

I've moved away from the Injinji over to the Nike toe socks as I find them more durable, and the quarter length is ideal for the trails to prevent debris ingress
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Jack Hughes » 28 Oct 2013 11:28

Kevy427 wrote:I've moved away from the Injinji over to the Nike toe socks as I find them more durable, and the quarter length is ideal for the trails to prevent debris ingress

But what about wearing them on your feet?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Kevy427 » 28 Oct 2013 12:20

Is that where they're supposed to go...?
Kevy427

Postby md6 » 04 Nov 2013 18:28

TRIumphant wrote:Another recommendation here as well. Also, use them with Vibram Five Fingers on cold days.

me too, although i find they are quite thick (maybe i got winter ones or something) so they are pretty toasty and nice. although the material isn't my favourite..I tend to wear the nike toe socks when its not really freezing
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Woody » 17 Nov 2013 09:44

OK, this may be an odd question but....did any of you have issues with blisters prior to trying them? The reason I ask is that a lot of people swear by them for Ultras/MdS and have recommended them to me BUT I just don't really suffer with blisters (the only time I have in the past 10 years or more was with new shoes at The Vit) so I'm unsure whether to change anything? If I were to do it then I'd go along the lines of injinji liners and thicker outer sock?
Woody
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Kevy427 » 17 Nov 2013 10:01

Woody wrote:OK, this may be an odd question but....did any of you have issues with blisters prior to trying them?

We always expect odd questions from you, Woody ;)

I suffer from blisters between the toes, and since switching to the toe socks these have been eliminated
Kevy427

Postby King Sad » 19 Nov 2013 21:22

I've only done two ultras, the first in 'normal' socks where I think I had one blister. On the Ennerdale wearing the Injinjis, my feet were submersed in water for about 3.5 - 4.5 K or thereabouts in total running along paths flooded by rain water. No blisters and my feet felt OK afterwards. Definitely recommend giving them a go and I am also going to try the Nike ones as well. Apart from the no toes rubbing together thing it is said that the toes spread out and give a more natural platform then 'normal' socks where they could squash together. I am pretty sold on them - no damn use in triathlon though as it would take too long to put them on :lol:

Give them a go, there are different weights of material and also the Nike ones I believe are lighter.
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad

Next

Return to Kit Reviews