Swim Therapy

Got a new shiny piece of kit? Or something tried and trusted? Tell us about it.

Swim Therapy

Postby Jimba » 09 Mar 2013 09:20

Not kit but I suppose it is a product.

This is the one based in Leicester. I have been before , about 4 yrs ago, and to be fair did nothing with the outcome.

So booked an hour, not sure what the range of prices are, but booked it off peak (ahem, another thread explains how I can do that, cough :oops: ) and it was £69. This included the hour session and the DVD of my swim and commentary.

It is basically a garage with the pool in, shower and changing area and a bank of video screens. So meet the coach, nice young lad, explain my needs, ie I just want to be average, and what i think some of the issues I need to work on are. I though what i needed was better body position and help with bilateral breathing. Get in, takes a bit of getting used to swimming against the jet so you aren't going to fast and come against the wall or drift back. After the warm up the coach points out a number of things, body position looks generally fine, head position too low, causing over rotation, this coupled with no bilateral breathing means rotation to other side is insufficient. (surprisingly enough when in open water I can't swim in a straight line!!) we then spend the next hour with me doing a bit of swimming and him pointing out various things. Elbows not hgh enough, entry into water, breathing etc. he points out loads of things to work on in drills. Well worth the money for me.
Is it for everyone? I would say that it depends on how badly you want to improve , it's not cheap -travel and fee means you must really want to improve tp pay it. The other thing is that much of what he pointed out was above the surface stuff, ie if you have someone who knows what they are talking about who can watch you, then they can do what he did for me. (albeit not as impactively with the video and the under the water bt is harder).
I will be drilling and going back in a couple of months.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Swim Therapy

Postby jonathon.e » 09 Mar 2013 12:15

Strangely enough, I went to swim therapy just over six years ago, don't think the price has increased much, do they actually give you a DVD now, when I went last time it was advertised as a DVD, but was a CD playable on computer only, the reproduction was ok but not brilliant. The only time I have ever had a coached session.

Jack may have been as well.

The session pointed out a lot of flaws, most of which I probably still have.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby IanM » 10 Mar 2013 10:19

I've been too (there's a thread somewhere about my experience). I really rated them - had a big impact on my times immediately after the session.

I do plan to go again, but at best it'll be summer time, or maybe even post season with next year in mind.
IanM

Postby Jimba » 11 Mar 2013 16:42

jonathon.e wrote:Strangely enough, I went to swim therapy just over six years ago, don't think the price has increased much, do they actually give you a DVD now, when I went last time it was advertised as a DVD, but was a CD playable on computer only, the reproduction was ok but not brilliant. The only time I have ever had a coached session.

Jack may have been as well.

The session pointed out a lot of flaws, most of which I probably still have.

My error, it is a playable CD for the computer.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Woody » 17 Apr 2013 22:52

Better live up to the claims, just bought Claire a video coaching session for her birthday!!! :shock:
Woody
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Return to Kit Reviews