crap swimming and compression and race choice

General chat and questions go here

crap swimming and compression and race choice

Postby Messer » 13 Jan 2010 15:48

ok post 2.

So my swimming is crap now i live on a lovelly island with ample open water i´m trying me best to improve but im struggling to measure distance and pace in the sea as it doesnt have any handy lanes to follow with a wall every 25 metres.
Any suggestions on a good open water swim training plan that doesnt involve having to pay for to much shiny GPS stuff.

Also i´m suffering with some serious next day achey legs when i was in the UK earning money I was gonna splash out on some nice shiny 2xu compression tights however now the old money is a bit tighter could anyone recommend a decent brand of compression tights that are not soo expensive, O yeah do you recommend training in them or just for recovery.

Last thing if i can get my arse into gear with the swimming I´m hoping to go for a half IM however i have been told by a couple of people that doing a half could seriously put me off going on to a full IM . beings that after knocking my arse out though the half the idea of doing twice as much might finish me off before I even get to the start lione of a full IM.

So my learned brothers and sisters of the BCTTT can you put my mind at rest about doing the Half IM distance or are you all gonna call me a big fat pansy and tell me to go straight to the mother load and do the full IM.

thanks people

Mat
Yep that's right I am an Ironman.......
Messer

Re: crap swimming and compression and race choice

Postby jonathon.e » 13 Jan 2010 16:10

First question I will say nothing.
Second question,try your local Aldi stores,they occassionally have offers on compression tights at a reasonable rate.
Third question.the IM and HIM races are too different kettles of fish.It is probably the increase in training to do the full distance that is the killer,more than the race itself.
To race competitively at IM you may have to do a Faustian deal.
But for HIM should be no real hardship.If you find that HIM is not for you,then spend your time more wisely,training at a distance you enjoy.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby andyb99 » 13 Jan 2010 20:18

hey messer...good to hear from you again....all i can say about HIM and IM is the advice i was given by the members (previous leaders too) of this very club...dont fanny around doing HIM...cause you'll get to then end and wonder if you can go the full distance...and probably find the answer to be NO!!!
i've yet to find out for myself (but i will in August) but i say do the full one...you know you can do it!!!!!
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby albinolock » 13 Jan 2010 20:51

Actually I found doing 2 HIM last year only increased my resolve to go longer...

I remember thinking after my first Oly at Windsor that there was no way I could do the HIM as I was so F*cked with just the oly distances.. but it's a different sort of race and trianing for an HIM.. same with HIM Vs IM (not that I've done an IM yet :D )

I remember reading in some book about some bloke who went from nothing to IM in 6 months he said if he could go back an do it differently he would do a HIM first?
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby andyb99 » 13 Jan 2010 22:32

albinolock wrote:
I remember reading in some book about some bloke who went from nothing to IM in 6 months he said if he could go back an do it differently he would do a HIM first?

PAH...he never told me that when i asked the question...i stupidly signed up for IMUK on his advice....DOH!!!!
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Jonhinio » 13 Jan 2010 23:32

That book has a lot to answer for :D

I picked up some 2XU calf guards from Probike in La Santa for a good price.
"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it."

T. Alan Armstrong
Jonhinio
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Return to General Discussion