Weight loss and Sports/Recovery drinks - anathema?

General chat and questions go here

Weight loss and Sports/Recovery drinks - anathema?

Postby malteser » 13 Jan 2010 11:16

I've been trying to stay away from protein shakes/sports drinks etc., such as Lucozade, Hi5, SiS etc. because first and foremost if I'm actually going to get faster and finish my target races then I need to shift some weight as well as get fitter.

Am I hampering my training by doing so? And if I indulge in the Sports drinks/protein shakes etc. will that hamper the weight loss? Or is there a happy medium?
malteser
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Re: Weight loss and Sports/Recovery drinks - anathema?

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 13 Jan 2010 14:07

The approach I take is to drink High5 zero (sorry, don't like Nuun) during low intensity fat burning and sub 1hour sessions because I shouldn't need the energy there and then have sports drink (Sis Go) for high intensity speed (normally club training) sessions. The theory being I don't want to deplete gyclogen stores, increase recovery time and hamper future sessions. Whilst this may be complete crap (I am open to the wisdom of a sports nutrtionist here) it seems to have worked for me so far and when I don't over indulge manage to lose weight steadily. So I don't think that you should stay away from sports drinks completely when trying to lose weight, but there use should be considered relative to the aim of the session.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to General Discussion